Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: truck/trailer sway
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> truck/trailer sway

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
allkidd

Lee's Summit

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just returned from a Colorado trip and the trailer definitely sways. I've tried everything including many adjustments suggested by Blue Ox but nothing seems to work. Not much fun driving on highway knowing sway can occur at any time.

I hate to put out this much money but I ordered a Propride hitch. They appear to be the best.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/20 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sway like trailer would just take off on it's own with no/minimal input that would make it sway? Like have to use the trailer brakes to pull it back in line?
IMO, that heavy of tongue weight and light in the @ss end since you aren't hauling heavy toys in it, "should" add to the stability.
Sorry to hear this, but before spending big bucks on a new hitch, maybe analyze what kind of "sway" you were getting and what your past experience and expectations are for comparison to the current experience toeing this trailer.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

pullin2

Fort Worth, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

allkidd wrote:

I hate to put out this much money but I ordered a Propride hitch. They appear to be the best.

I have one (a Hensley, but same folks). It doesn't reduce sway. It removes it -- the word disappears from your vocabulary and the problem will become a distant memory.

Trust me. When you install the Pro-Pride it will fix the problem entirely.

Let us know how it works!

RB, JC (& a few dogs)
2017 Ram CC LB Cummins,
35' Windjammer
30' Sea Ray
I used to tandem-tow (hence my username), but my trailers grew too big.

allkidd

Lee's Summit

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted to follow up with my new pro pride hitch system. We just got back from our first pro pride trip and it was fantastic! No sway at all. What a difference from what I was experiencing.

On the way down we had a 30 mph cross wind. Of course, my rig felt the wind but there was no sway and the wind movement was totally predictable.

With the propride I was able to drive the 70 mph speed limit or even faster. On the way home my wife drove for a bit and felt totally comfortable.

Very expensive but based on my previous experience, very worth the money.

Again, thanks to everybody for the help as it was greatly appreciated!

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch, make sure you are getting the correct link in the slot. Count the individual links from the FREE END of the chain to the ninth one, slide this one in the slot and rotate the latch till it locks.

Some said you are transferring too much weight back to the front wheels, this leads me to think you have the wrong link of chain. Only go to the tenth or eleventh link if you need to put more weight on the front.

Do you have the right bars? They should have three dimples machined in them near the fat end of the bar that would be 1000 lb bars.

Charles

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great news allkidd. Happy for you and glad that you found a solution.I was one of those who thought your weight numbers were good and thought that your hitch might be the problem. Enjoy all of your future trips but be careful about the speed. I aim for 65, will hit 70 now and then but reel it back when going over 70. Too many things can go wrong in a very short time. All it takes is an exciting blow out on a hot day at high speed to make you a believer.

Also glad that the "get a bigger truck" crowd didn't jump into this thread. You have a very workable combo.

Best wishes.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Wishin

Grand Rapids, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/20 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So glad you found a solution. The hitch you picked is pricey, but compared to the camper and truck, not such a big deal with all the benefit you get from it. Camping is no fun if you hate driving to get there. Plus the safety is hard to put a price on. In your case you were not correcting for an overloaded truck, just a combo that didn't want to work well.

In my opinion, the Blue Ox doesn't really have much in its design that will radically improve sway. I have not experience with it but I am an engineer with a lot of experience with a lot of things and a lot of experience towing. I've used no sway control, a simple friction bar, and the Reese Dual Cam. I've been using the Dual Cam for 11+ years now and I love it. I think the brackets that connect to the trailer and not designed well and often need additional help in staying in place. But the sway control they provide is considerable. The simple friction bar to me helped a lot if tightened enough, but it also tended to hold the trailer and TV in a non-straight line. Where ever it stopped in its movement, it just wanted to stay there. It was hard to drive straight. The Dual Cam is always happy to drive straight ahead and provide even greater sway control than a friction bar. The cams want to stay in the straight ahead position on the Dual Cam. Mine is quite although on my current trailer (1200-1300 lbs TW) I do need to use a little Vaseline on the cams. I never had to on my prior trailer with 850 lbs of TW. Both of my trailers have tended to run 15% + TW. No issues. The other thing that makes a huge difference is tire construction. Depending on the vehicle tire size/type that may mean a switch to a higher performance tire that also has a higher speed rating. Or typically on a truck that means switching to a load range E LT tire.

The Hensley or Propride are a hitch category of their own and seem to be well worth it if you have the money to spare. Glad you are happy with your solution! Happy camping!!

2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> truck/trailer sway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.