cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

flat tow

moscohomes
Explorer
Explorer
So what would be the difference if I flat tow a F150 or Jeep Wrangler they weigh about the same with my 36LA open road tffin 2020 ?
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The difference is, for them to weigh โ€œabout the sameโ€ The Jeep would be a loaded 4 door vs a stripped down small F150.
Real world difference behind a diesel pusher? Not a thing from the drivers seat of the weight is similar.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Gdub2 wrote:
I have a F-150 EcoBoost 2wd my manual says you cannot flat tow a 2 wheel drive F-150

IIRC nearly all 2WD pickups can't be towed four down without a driveshaft disconnect. Many 4WD can if equipped with a means to shift the transfer case to neutral.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Gdub2 wrote:
I have a F-150 EcoBoost 2wd my manual says you cannot flat tow a 2 wheel drive F-150

restrictions as to time/speed/distance?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Gdub2
Explorer
Explorer

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
I think what the OP may be after is whether there are any restrictions such as maximum speed or starting the vehicle every X number of hours for either vehicle.

If in fact that is the type of information he is looking for, I know there are no restrictions for the Wrangler, but I have no knowledge for the F150.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Most if not all Wranglers can be flat towed with only an addition of a base plate or different bumper. Not sure about a F150 but I do see some being towed. As mentioned above they may weigh about the same empty, but there is always a great urge to fill the truck bed.

"most" would be correct. pays to check.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Without checking both Jeepโ€™s and Fordโ€™s website carefully, I donโ€™t know. But you want information not from me, second hand, but directly from the manufacturers.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most if not all Wranglers can be flat towed with only an addition of a base plate or different bumper. Not sure about a F150 but I do see some being towed. As mentioned above they may weigh about the same empty, but there is always a great urge to fill the truck bed.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remember the F150 will weigh more once you load that Harley into the bed....just sayin..Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
- can either vehicle BE flat towed? not all can.
- what is your max tiw weight and how did you calculate it?
- weight rating of your hitch and towbar?
- rolling weight of the wrangler and F150?

take nothing for granted.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK