Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Timbrens vs Stableloads
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Timbrens vs Stableloads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MORSNOW wrote:

I have both, if I was to chose which one was the most beneficial it would be the lower Stable Loads. They reduce sway and help level out my truck. I later added the Timbrens for additional support while towing.

Can you talk more about the difference with just the lower SL and then after adding the Timbrens?

Thanks.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

ejfranz

Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timbrens should not be in contact when there is no load. I have Timbrens and KYB Monomax shocks on the rear. I went to the Timbrens about 8 years ago and would use them again. The only time the Timbrens jar the truck when unloaded is when you hit a speed bump too fast.

06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

MORSNOW wrote:

I have both, if I was to chose which one was the most beneficial it would be the lower Stable Loads. They reduce sway and help level out my truck. I later added the Timbrens for additional support while towing.

Can you talk more about the difference with just the lower SL and then after adding the Timbrens?

Thanks.

Certainly. Instead of throwing a bunch of parts at my truck when I first picked up my camper, I tried things one at a time. I ran completely stock at first, noticed I wasn't sitting level and had top heavy sway. So I added lower Stable Loads which was supper easy with pre-drilled factory overload springs. They really helped level the truck out and drastically reduced the top heavy sway feeling. I almost always was pulling my 16' trailer with ATV's and then later on a much heavier SxS UTV. I decided to try adding Timbrens after increasing my trailer load. Timbrens weren't required/needed, but did help trailer bounce when driving on Alaska's frost heaved roads. I really feel that the lower Stable Loads were all I needed for better ride and control.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MORSNOW wrote:

billtex wrote:

MORSNOW wrote:

Thanks.

Certainly. Instead of throwing a bunch of parts at my truck when I first picked up my camper, I tried things one at a time. I ran completely stock at first, noticed I wasn't sitting level and had top heavy sway. So I added lower Stable Loads which was supper easy with pre-drilled factory overload springs. They really helped level the truck out and drastically reduced the top heavy sway feeling. I almost always was pulling my 16' trailer with ATV's and then later on a much heavier SxS UTV. I decided to try adding Timbrens after increasing my trailer load. Timbrens weren't required/needed, but did help trailer bounce when driving on Alaska's frost heaved roads. I really feel that the lower Stable Loads were all I needed for better ride and control.

That’s what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the details. I will be going with lower SL’s. We don’t tow as much or as heavy as we used to so I am really just looking to handle the camper better than OE suspension.
Thx again, Bill

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

MORSNOW wrote:

billtex wrote:

MORSNOW wrote:

Thanks.

That’s what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the details. I will be going with lower SL’s. We don’t tow as much or as heavy as we used to so I am really just looking to handle the camper better than OE suspension.
Thx again, Bill

You're welcome, hopefully your springs are predrilled to save you a bunch of work. You'll appreciate the difference Stable Loads make.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my degree in mechanics, I can't stand looking at lower Stable Loads.
They apply shearing force to the leaves who are not design for shearing force.
I ask in the past and to date nobody reported the gizmo to break the leave, but laws of physics can't be politically turned around like lowering restrictions in epidemics.
So use your best judgement.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MORSNOW wrote:

billtex wrote:

MORSNOW wrote:

billtex wrote:

MORSNOW wrote:

Thanks.

Thx again, Bill

You're welcome, hopefully your springs are predrilled to save you a bunch of work. You'll appreciate the difference Stable Loads make.

Nope. For some reason Ford doesn’t have the holes any longer...

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not understand the issue for drilling or for that matter why anyone would chose Stableloads instead of Timbrens. The Timbrens install very easily without any drilling or issues.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I do not understand the issue for drilling or for that matter why anyone would chose Stableloads instead of Timbrens. The Timbrens install very easily without any drilling or issues.

The issue for drilling is drilling through spring steel-not easy (Ford bottom OL does not have a through hole) to mount the SL’s.
Timbrens are different than the SL’s. Timbrens add additional support at the axle-they are somewhat of a “hard stop”. (They are slightly progressive). Many users report a slap when Timbrens engage the axle going over bumps. This is concerning to me in an unladen condition.

The SL’s should not result in a hard stop as they work with the OE suspension-not in ADDITION to the OE suspension. And by design are completely disengaged when unladen.

I am not saying one is better. It depends on your needs. We need to level the truck (our boat is too big to tow now) so we do minimal towing. I do not need to add to my suspension-just enhance it-if this makes sense.

Bill

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

.....Timbrens add additional support at the axle-they are somewhat of a “hard stop”. (They are slightly progressive). Many users report a slap when Timbrens engage the axle going over bumps. This is concerning to me in an unladen condition.
Bill

I put Timbrens on my truck about a year and a half ago and have driven almost all that time without any load. The ride has been good. It takes driving too fast over a speed bump or something similar to get any thump from the semi-hard stop. Under normal everyday driving conditions that does not happen. Normal rough roads and tar strips and the like are not a problem. Even without Timbrens hitting a speed bump or pothole is going to give a jarring ride. After all the rear springs are stiff and heavy and do not readily absorb large bumps.

The way the springs are designed on my 2018 Ram 3500, Stableloads would not work well, if at all. I also like the ease of installing the Timbrens. The first installation took all of about 10 minutes while I tinkered with the spacer. The installation on the other side took about 5 minutes. If you wanted to use the truck for any appreciable amount of time without any major loads, it would be easy to remove the Timbrens. But, again, I don't see any reason for that. Mine are on for the life of the truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Timbrens vs Stableloads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.