Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Timbrens vs Stableloads
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Timbrens vs Stableloads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my truck empty, the Timbrens don’t come into play at all. The suspension in a 1 ton dually is pretty stiff. Like Jim, I really like my Timbrens.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to the inboard placement, Timbrens increased sway on my old truck. I corrected it with Energy Suspension devices installed on the overload bump stops. My new truck got upper Stable Loads and upgraded anti-sway bars only.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

TCjeff

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/20 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a newbie truck camper (first truck and first camper) this whole issue of suspension moss has me totally confused, although this thread is definitely helpful. We’ve just completed our first major trip with our rig - 2019 Ram 3500 dually + Northern Lite 10 2 (4500 lbs wet) - with no mods thus far to the suspension. Overall the ride has been quite good except for some front to back rocking when passing over bigger bumps. Feels quite stable side to side. With the camper on the truck the bed goes down but only to the point where the camper is pretty much level since the bed has slope when unloaded. Is this too much sag? Would one of the suggested mods help the front to back rocking? The truck will be driven unloaded at least half the time.

If this should be asked in a separate post I apologize!

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TCjeff wrote:

As a newbie truck camper (first truck and first camper) this whole issue of suspension moss has me totally confused, although this thread is definitely helpful. We’ve just completed our first major trip with our rig - 2019 Ram 3500 dually + Northern Lite 10 2 (4500 lbs wet) - with no mods thus far to the suspension. Overall the ride has been quite good except for some front to back rocking when passing over bigger bumps. Feels quite stable side to side. With the camper on the truck the bed goes down but only to the point where the camper is pretty much level since the bed has slope when unloaded. Is this too much sag? Would one of the suggested mods help the front to back rocking? The truck will be driven unloaded at least half the time.

If this should be asked in a separate post I apologize!

Jeff-with that truck and camper you probably don’t need any suspension enhancements. If your headlights are not pointing to the sky and you have not dropped more than 2” or so, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Keep in mind; your rear needs to sag a few inches just to get back to level. (This is truck dependent- could be 2” could be 4”...)
I am losing about 4” with my Eagle Cap (heavier than your camper and a SRW truck) so my goal is to gain about 2” to return to “level”.

There will be a certain amount of “sway” when you throw several thousand pounds of high COG cargo in your bed. You will get used to this. It’s not going away.

Any mods you do will compromise your ride either unladen, laden, or both (depending on what your do).
IMO best case is don’t do any mods if you don’t need to.

You have a (very nice) middle weight camper on a DRW truck probably well within payload. I would probably leave it as is.

Safe travels, Bill

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the camper loaded, you want your upper overload springs to engage which help with porpoising and sway. If you still have sway after engaging the upper overloads, you most likely need a heavy stabilizer bar.

Because each truck and camper is slightly different and what people bring with them varies, there is no correct answer what to do before you try the camper on the OEM setup. Once you have a couple trips completed, you may find some traits of handling should be addressed and then we can make suggestions that will not drain your wallet with questionable improvement.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

TCjeff

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper is pretty much dead level when loaded in the truck bed. So far I’m very comfortable with the handling. Sway is not an issue. Only a bit of porpoising which I am prepared to live with for now. So no mods for now I guess.

Thanks billtex and Bedlam!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Timbrens vs Stableloads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.