cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air bags

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2003 Providence DP,Presently has 101 k on it. My question is at what point do you need to replace the air bags on it. I haven't climb under the MH to see the present brand on it.
Any input might give me a better ride over these lousy roads we travel on.
5 REPLIES 5

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look them over for cracks and wear marks. If you see rub marks, find what is rubbing, and fix that. The bags are pretty thick.
When I first got my last Pete, the bags had some cracks. I bought replacement, but did not have time to change. Put 1 in box to take with, ran over 10000 miles before I got them all changed.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last year we had a rear air bag with a slow leak in it. I took it to a Cummins repair facility and they replaced the leaking bag. I asked about replacing the other rear bag since they were both the original. They stated that they usually don't replace them until they start to leak. I though that was odd, but it's been over a year now and the older bag still has no leaks.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think newer bags will give you an improved ride. I have no direct experience so maybe I'm wrong but am just thinking of the physics of it. Air is air and if the bag is holding, what else in there?

As for running with old bags I've heard of a some folks traveling with a spare bag or two in case of one breaking while on the road. I think it's a lot easier to find someone to replace a bag than it is to get the bag to your location and have it installed.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
At or close to their life. As Wolfe stated, Check them. depend on your condition.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
When you can see the cords showing through or chunks of the outer layer flaking off.

Yes, if you plan on keeping it for a long time and prefer to do maintenance at your convenience instead of on the road, do it when it suits you.

But, I know of a number of 20 year old coaches with original airbags.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/