cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App or site to plan route

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning everyone. I am beginning the journey of getting into RV with a travel trailer. We have a trial trip coming up next weekend in prep for our big trip in November (2.5 weeks - central Texas to California and back with sight seeing).

What is the best RV trip planning app, tool, or site? I have been using Google Maps so far, but I imagine there are dedicated tools out there.

For example:
- More realistic time estimates for routes. Google maps calculates using speed limit and no stops. With a travel trailer I won't be cruising like I usually do and with 3 kids and a dog will be stopping frequently. Based on another long road trip we did, I gave us a 25% time penalty due to kids and a 10mph speed hit for the trailer.

- Potential trouble spot for towing (steep hills, sharp turns, city routing, etc.)

- Trailer friendly stopping areas (pull through pumps, large parking lots, etc.)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto that, mittshel... technology is nice, but seeing the "big picture" is an essential part of the planning process. Unfolding the map opens up a perspective simply not available using any other means.

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what app we use, I NEVER leave home without my good ole paper maps. Betsy.
Betsy

cgaskins
Explorer
Explorer
RV Trip Wizard. Been using it for years.

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/
A resident of the great city of Austin, Texas
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Ultimate (6.7 Powerstroke)

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a look at Roadtrippers.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
There is no one site that knows everything. RV Trip Wizard helps quite a bit, showing almost all campsites.The reviews and links from the site are helpful too.
I agree with others, using google and google street view help with the little questions. Is there room?
KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just use google maps.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google maps is fine with me. I make due or walk a bit extra if en-route facilities are not RV friendly. Never seems to be a big deal really.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
I really enjoy the planning, so once I know our rough route, I research heavily in the tourist sites with google, and also have created a spreadsheet over several years broken down by state/province and closest town I've added info to I've gleaned from other RVer's trips. I also then look at Freecampsites.net, Campendium, The Dyrt, Ioverlander, RVParky and Allstays. I will also check Reviews from others before committing to any specific location.

For the actual route planning I solely use google maps. I've tried all the othesr such as Freetrips, Furkot etc but have found google maps and being able to see satellite earth views zooming in to access parking/road conditions etc, this has been best for our use.

Depending on what style of camping/rving you end up enjoying, we also use Sanidumps when the RV needs to go and we're boondocking for a long time.

Lastly because we like being at one with nature a lot, we will use MUV Maps, BLM, AZ Trust Lands, Wildlife Refuges, Crownland in Canada.

We typically just use on the spot visuals when gas filling (36ft MH) as needed, Finding many of the large Travel Centres are easy in and out.

Many like Truckers Map/Truck Atlas, weather station, and also there's a deep discount fuel card for diesel TDSR? Sorry we are not diesel but gas I'm sure someone else will confirm that one for you.

There's quite an arsenal for you to consider, and you will find over time your favourite go to apps.

Happy and Safe Travels.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
We use the free app at rvparky.com. Used it for a 6000 mile trip without a problem.

Years with no issues and we 3/4 time.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
We use the free app at rvparky.com. Used it for a 6000 mile trip without a problem.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV Trip Planner RVTW is what I use and is quite popular with a lot of folks. It routes your vehicle according to the height that you put in the software avoiding low bridges and such. It uses shows the actual road miles to a stop, it shows all it shows campgrounds on the map along with many diffifert types of places. The list is too long to show here. The developers are actively adding features, they had two major releases in the last couple of months and they have a forum on a different RV sites that they listen to and respond occasionally to question not answered by other users. It is pay $30/yr IIRC
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper