cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving dog at campsite

Sixgun4559
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I'm Kevin and I just purchased my first travel trailer. I searched the forum however didn't find anything that matched my question. We will be taking our 50lbs mix breed "mutt" Murphy with us when we go to different campgrounds. Murphy loves to be outside and he's not quite a year old yet. He's crate trained and is not allowed to roam free of the house when we're not home. Mostly because I have two small children and he will chew up the toys.
We have a large dog cage that he sleeps in with a water supply connected to it. I was wondering if while at campgrounds I could leave my dog in the cage, with water while the family
60 REPLIES 60

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed M wrote:
04fxsts wrote:
Our dogs are not big barkers but will bark when someone or something is close to the MH. We have a sound activated device that puts out an ultrasonic sound when activated. A couple barks and that is all, they quit. Before we leave I show it to them and that usually keeps them quiet. Jim.

These ultrasonic devices are so effective (and handy) and you can buy them for $25 or so, that I can't believe everyone doesn't own at least one (and yes, the dogs recognize your ability to punish them from a distance....LOL!) Even for people who don't own dogs, but want to exact stealthy revenge on those rude enough to let their dogs yap endlessly ๐Ÿ˜‰

We have on on an 85lb mixed breed dog. If he randomly barks, it goes off and he thinks about it. But, if he sees something he wants to run and bark at, all bets are off. He will run in our back yard, fence line to fence line barking the entire time with the thing vibrating, making noise, and shocking him. He doesn't care if hes overly excited about what he is barking at...

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
04fxsts wrote:
Our dogs are not big barkers but will bark when someone or something is close to the MH. We have a sound activated device that puts out an ultrasonic sound when activated. A couple barks and that is all, they quit. Before we leave I show it to them and that usually keeps them quiet. Jim.

These ultrasonic devices are so effective (and handy) and you can buy them for $25 or so, that I can't believe everyone doesn't own at least one (and yes, the dogs recognize your ability to punish them from a distance....LOL!) Even for people who don't own dogs, but want to exact stealthy revenge on those rude enough to let their dogs yap endlessly ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Well, then let me make a suggestion that may help everyone acclimate.....camp more often around barking dogs.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Dogs are pack animals and are programmed to follow their masters. The often behave quite differently on their own with the owners away.

There is another major issue. Many dogs bark a lot. Their owners get used to that. The neighbors are less likely to enjoy the noise.
This is absolutely true. The times that we were bothered by barking dogs have always been when the owners were there - seemingly able to carry on conversations while their dogs barked.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed in very high end parks where there are dog walking services for stay at the RV dogs. In seasonal parks, dogs obviously get left alone in the RV. It is very dog specific and if your dog is a barker, you are taking a risk of being asked to leave and being a bad neighbor. In years of RVing I don't believe I have ever run across a constant barking dog that was bigger than 10 pounds. The little guys, on the other hand, could make a Fidel Castro speech (he was well known to drone on for hours on end) seem like a short story.
A good way to see if your dog is a barker and causing a problem is to buy a voice activated recorder and leave it turned on in the RV. It will record every time your dog barks.
One other thing, pulling the blinds really won't impact whether or not your dog will bark. You are thinking in human terms. Dogs do not see everything that is happening around them like we do, they smell their way thru life.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
So many dog owners who think the rules do not apply to them.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
this topic is as controversial as "how much can i tow with a half ton?!?!"

Have some respect for your campground neighbors and communicate with them. if you find yourself needing to leave your pets in the camper for a part of the day try to be aware of whats going on. try to book sites in shade under trees to help control the heat. if your trip keeps you away from your camper most of the time leave the dog with a family member for that trip.

If you need to run to walmart turn on the radio and A/C. Your dog will be just fine.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
CFerguson wrote:

If this thread has done one thing for me, it has shown me the absolute arrogance and lack of concern for some people's dogs. While i have never reported anyone in a CG, that is going to change when i see dogs not being properly cared for. Thank you all for you input.

The hypocrisy of naming the arrogance of another in such a self-righteously arrogant post is mind-numbing to me.

I am convinced that most every campground that has a 'no dogs left behind' rule has it so that they have a basis on which to deal with a camper whose dog is problematic in some way. A dog resting comfortably and quietly in an RV is no one's business, and that campground doesn't want to deal with your pointless complaints.

If you see active abuse of an animal in any circumstance - report it. If a dog is left behind, contrary to campground rules, and it is being particularly bothersome - report it.

Otherwise, MYOB and stop walking around as though you know what is best for everyone and everything else in the world.

AMEN
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:

If this thread has done one thing for me, it has shown me the absolute arrogance and lack of concern for some people's dogs. While i have never reported anyone in a CG, that is going to change when i see dogs not being properly cared for. Thank you all for you input.

The hypocrisy of naming the arrogance of another in such a self-righteously arrogant post is mind-numbing to me.

I am convinced that most every campground that has a 'no dogs left behind' rule has it so that they have a basis on which to deal with a camper whose dog is problematic in some way. A dog resting comfortably and quietly in an RV is no one's business, and that campground doesn't want to deal with your pointless complaints.

If you see active abuse of an animal in any circumstance - report it. If a dog is left behind, contrary to campground rules, and it is being particularly bothersome - report it.

Otherwise, MYOB and stop walking around as though you know what is best for everyone and everything else in the world.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
CFerguson wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
It doesn't take much to be smarter than the average dog.

I concur.
Plenty of evidence for your assertion all around us everyday.

For the most part MYOB applies to how someone treats their dog.
Unless you witness actual physical abuse, I don't think you should involve yourself.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
It doesn't take much to be smarter than the average dog.

I concur.
Plenty of evidence for your assertion all around us everyday.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
I've never stayed at a campground that said no unattended pets. ...

I'll take you at your word. It must be a west vs east thing.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:

*SNIP some useless verbiage*

๐Ÿ™‚