cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping with my dog

Sixgun4559
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm Kevin and just purchased my first TT.
I have a 50lbs dog that will be coming with us on our weekend warrior trips. My question is that lets say the wife and kids want to go to the pool. Is it against any rules or looked down upon to put the dog (Murphy) in a cage outside under the awning with a supply of water? He loves being outside and I don't see a very good reason why this wouldn't be allowed or looked down upon, but I don't know. The cage is too big to leave in the TT. Other options of course are a staked cable dog leash. My issue with them is that before my fence was put up in my house we used that and he constantly got tangled up and stuck on things. Of course if it was extremely hot or cold I wouldn't do this. He's still under a year old and has alot of puppy left in him so I don't want to come home to a brand new chewed up TT.
35 REPLIES 35

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Gosh, I must have touched a nerve! You must be one of those who thinks they are special.

Quite the opposite old chap. Just someone who points out people with an agenda that post almost identical posts in two different yet concurrent threads. As I've posted before, my pure bred German Shepherd is too well socialized and far too expensive, ($4,000), to leave lying around a campsite be it inside or outside the trailer. He's sort of like my pistol, nothing good can come of leaving it unattended so it goes everywhere with me... :B

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
We have a pets forum here, subsection dogs.

If you want some real fun and freedom, go boondocking out in the sticks and let doggie run wild. You'll both be happier.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Amazing the number of people who think the rules do not apply to them.

So good of you to bore us all with your mindless post in both dog based threads that are running concurrently.

You, of course, have never failed to report items bought online to the MI taxman that you didn't pay sales tax on or some other silliness. Funny how the rules don't apply to you eh?

Stones and glass houses come to mind.

Gosh, I must have touched a nerve! You must be one of those who thinks they are special.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

So good of you to bore us all with your mindless post in both dog based threads that are running concurrently.

You, of course, have never failed to report items bought online to the MI taxman that you didn't pay sales tax on or some other silliness. Funny how the rules don't apply to you eh?

Stones and glass houses come to mind.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping with dogs is one of life's greatest joys.
My brother declared in about 1974 "if I can't bring my dog, I'm not going."
Pretty good rule to live by. If your dog is not allowed, you probably don't need to be there either.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
"In order to live outside the law, you must be honest. "
Bob Dylan.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Rice wrote:

What?? We're talking about dogs getting agitated and barking when left alone in RVs. How is pointing out that a dog who doesn't have problems in a regular house might have problems in an RV, where distractions are usually closer and, uh, more distracting, out of context?

Most dogs learn that camping is a different set of rules, and they are smart enough to understand that. My previous "camping buddies" knew they had to be on a leash to leave the camper (even though they NEVER were on leash around our house or at work) - but they DID push that rule a bit. Picture 2 dogs standing with their hind feet still on the bottom step as they watched whatever we were doing outside....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
You took my statement out of context. Shame on you!

What?? We're talking about dogs getting agitated and barking when left alone in RVs. How is pointing out that a dog who doesn't have problems in a regular house might have problems in an RV, where distractions are usually closer and, uh, more distracting, out of context?

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Rice wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
To the people complaining about leaving a dog alone in the RV: if the dog is used to be alone at the sticks and brick house, there is no difference leaving the dog alone in the RV.

I'm not so sure. Most sticks and bricks houses are set back from the street a pretty good distance, and a dog inside could very well not even notice someone walking on the street or sidewalk. But in most RV parks, the RVs are much closer to the public areas where people are walking, which makes dogs bark.

You took my statement out of context. Shame on you!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
When I was a campground host at Capitol Reef, dogs were not allowed left alone either outside or inside the RV. Of course, they were not allowed on trails either. Anyone visiting with a dog might as well have just driven through the National Park and left.

The National Park Service, and some State Parks have this very narrow set of rules regarding dogs. I think it is unreasonable. I avoid those parks because the only legal place to take a dog is a walk around the parking lot and in your rig when you are there.

To be honest, traveling in the off season when it is quiet, it is possible to skirt a few of their rules. But don't worry you will never see me and my dog.

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
To the people complaining about leaving a dog alone in the RV: if the dog is used to be alone at the sticks and brick house, there is no difference leaving the dog alone in the RV.

I'm not so sure. Most sticks and bricks houses are set back from the street a pretty good distance, and a dog inside could very well not even notice someone walking on the street or sidewalk. But in most RV parks, the RVs are much closer to the public areas where people are walking, which makes dogs bark.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
When I was a campground host at Capitol Reef, dogs were not allowed left alone either outside or inside the RV. Of course, they were not allowed on trails either. Anyone visiting with a dog might as well have just driven through the National Park and left.

Strict!

As I recall the rangers at the visitors center asked me to bring my giant malamute in to the building for some treats. Of course this was mid December and I had been their only visitor that day. I also asked and was allowed to run the generator all night long due to 0 degree F temps.

Same warm welcome at Natural Bridges, I even was allowed to park overnight in the no overnight parking lot because they hadn't plowed any sites or the road leading there.

Guess it depends on time of year and how bad of a week/month/year the person you interact with is having.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years, I traveled with three different dogs at different times who were all crate trained. They could be left behind in the crate outside or uncrated inside the RV without any issues. They would never make a noise unless someone invaded their territory. That means coming inside the RV with no one there or within 6 to 8 feet of their crate if crated. Then there was serious barking and growling which is appropriate. I never had a problem in any campground. To the people complaining about leaving a dog alone in the RV: if the dog is used to be alone at the sticks and brick house, there is no difference leaving the dog alone in the RV.