cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2003 jayco granite ridge refrigerator problems

Mitchnun
Explorer
Explorer
New to the game what’s with my refrigerator??

Not sure if this is a good spot for this but hoping someone can help me out. I bought a 2003 jayco granite ridge class c motorhome and am trying to figure things out this is my first rv to ever own and I am having a hard time figuring out the refrigerator. It’s an LP or DC norcold fridge. The only time I can get it to turn on is when the engine is running. I put it onto LP but as soon as I turn off the engine it turns off and I’m not sure if it’s still running/cooling. I want to get it to run for the eight hours to cool it down but I don’t want the engine to just run for 8 hours. I though the fridge should run with out the engine or generator on. Also when I turn in the generator the fridge turns off?? I’m so confused. ?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I am not on a very flat service where I live at the moment so not sure if that plays a huge part in it?
5 REPLIES 5

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
First, if you operate it much out of level (refer to your refrigerator manual for specs for your particular unit) it will ruin the cooling unit.

Next, check for 12 VDC to the back of the refrigerator (outside access door. As others have said, you must have 12 VDC to run the PC board-- whether on 120 VAC or propane.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bigskygrizzlybe
Explorer
Explorer
My guess would be, the rv battery is either disconnected or dead or missing. Has to have 12 volt to operate.
Gulf Stream Class C
2004 Jeep Liberty Dinghy
Snowbirds 2014

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Out of level can make a difference in whether a unit runs, BUT if it runs when the engine is running, but not when the engine is off the next question becomes 12 volt power.
Have you checked the house battery/batteries?
Are they charged? Are they there? if you just bought it, do you know?
Do the interior lights all function when the engine is not running?
Time to get a volt meter and start checking.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
X2
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's the model number of the fridge? Are you sure it isn't LP/AC? In either case, even on LP, the fridge requires 12 volts DC to operate the control board and gas valve. It sounds like the fridge isn't getting 12 volts when the motor is not running. You likely have a separate house battery (separate from the battery for starting the motor). Is it in place and charged? If you bought the motorhome used, it may have come without a house battery in it. Finally, an absorption refrigerator needs to be fairly level to operate - but out of level won't cause the issue you're seeing.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015