cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lefthand Canyon Dr., Colorado?

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 32’ fifth wheel camper. Has anyone gone from I-25 (Longmont, CO) to Ward, CO (Brainard Lake Recreation Area/Pawnee Campground)? We would be coming south from Custer, SD. On Google maps it shows to go from Longmont onto what it shows to be Hwy 36 (?), but it is really Lefthand Canyon Road and goes straight to Ward. There’s no number shown for Lefthand Canyon Rd. Otherwise you can go on into Boulder and take Hwy 119 to Nederland, CO and go north to Ward. We are totally unfamiliar with these routes and don’t want to get into some awful road or something. We are coming south from Custer, SD. Thanks
1 REPLY 1

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillyandKris wrote:
We tow a 32’ fifth wheel camper. Has anyone gone from I-25 (Longmont, CO) to Ward, CO (Brainard Lake Recreation Area/Pawnee Campground)? We would be coming south from Custer, SD. On Google maps it shows to go from Longmont onto what it shows to be Hwy 36 (?), but it is really Lefthand Canyon Road and goes straight to Ward. There’s no number shown for Lefthand Canyon Rd. Otherwise you can go on into Boulder and take Hwy 119 to Nederland, CO and go north to Ward. We are totally unfamiliar with these routes and don’t want to get into some awful road or something. We are coming south from Custer, SD. Thanks

Lefthand Canyon Rd is certainly doable. But it's not US 36. It's a well marked turn off from US 36 to Lefthand Canyon Dr. You'll get there by taking the CO 66 exit off I-25 heading west to Lyons. (See also further below) On the outskirts of Lyons, US 36 intersects and takes you to Boulder. Lefthand Canyon is not too far south of that intersection.

It's paved all the way to Ward and is a typical canyon drive, which is to say a lot of curves. Be aware that, outside of Ward, it becomes Indian Gulch Rd and goes on in to Ward. The road through Ward is somewhat steep and is not well maintained. Road maintenance is not a priority there. and as you're leaving town, there's a tight hairpin curve before it straigtens out to intersect with CO 72. Make a right at the stop sign onto CO 72 and then nearly immediately make a left onto Brainard Lake Rd. Brainard Lake Rd was completely rebuilt a couple seasons back and is now a good roadway, but there are also multiple hairpin curves to be aware of. There's an entrance station a couple miles prior to the campground so be prepared to pay the entrance fee, unless you have one of the "Geezer" passes, which gets you in free. Pawnee Campground is a couple miles on the right and there's 2 loops there. You're likely to see moose while up there.

There's a better way (IMHO) to get there from I-25. Take the exit for CO 66 and take that in to Lyons. In Lyons make a left onto CO 7 and take that up to CO 72. Be aware that you're in a canyon on CO7 as well, so curves and steep sections (12% not uncommon). CO 72 intersection is before you get to Allenspark and is a good road (also known as the Peak to Peak highway) from that intersection to the cutoff for Brainard Lake. Again though, be aware of some steep sections, particularly as you approach Raymond and Peaceful Valley. Watch for the Millsite Inn (restaurant) as you're approaching Ward, the turn off to Brainard sneaks up on you. Also be aware that this drive is very popular with Motorcycles, so heads up on them coming up fast behind you and passing you.

Pawnee Campground/Brainard Lake is one of the most beautiful places to stay in CO. Indian Peaks Wilderness all around you with some great hikes. Hopefully that's a reason you're going there. Have my own reservations up there coming up in September before they close for the season.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.