Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weekend warrior flooring question

joe_blow
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I have a 2008 weekend warrior billet edition (grey cabinets) and was considering doing the entire trailer floor plan in some type of heavy duty greyish laminate. I do carry a can am x3 and occasional motorcycles etc.

Most of my friends have the new style VORTEX 5th wheel trailers that are done this way. Is this RV specific flooring, or will any home type laminate work for this application?

I do not like the feel of "floating" flooring and the hollow sound that accompanies it. My friends' trailers feel and sound solid.

Is it recommended to glue the flooring?

Looking for specifics or floor recommendations if anyone can help

Thanks
Joe
8 REPLIES 8

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
We got tired of looking at the rubber floor in our Fuzion. So we bought some of the stick-on wood look vinyl flooring from Lumber Liquidators. It went on easily, looks pretty good, and was cheap.

Nice work, fj12ryder. That looks really good.

Thank you. It's one of the few projects that Peggy and I worked on together that didn't almost come to blows. LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dedmiston
fj12ryder wrote:
We got tired of looking at the rubber floor in our Fuzion. So we bought some of the stick-on wood look vinyl flooring from Lumber Liquidators. It went on easily, looks pretty good, and was cheap.

Nice work, fj12ryder. That looks really good.

carringb wrote:
It's a very durable rubber flooring brand, with a distinct round-bump style. Apparently originally intended for aircraft, but I see it used most often for a non-slip commercial surfaces at ramps in hospitals and other high-traffic areas.

That's what we have in our garage and I really like it, but it's a booger to keep clean. I hit it with a little leaf blower, which does a pretty good job with the dust and grit, but it doesn't make it look clean.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II

Here's a pic or two (hopefully):

Here's the "Before" picture:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
joe blow wrote:

Curious as to what Lincoin floor is? Is that a brand or design?

It's a very durable rubber flooring brand, with a distinct round-bump style. Apparently originally intended for aircraft, but I see it used most often for a non-slip commercial surfaces at ramps in hospitals and other high-traffic areas. Also pretty popular with SportsMobile vans. It was a factory upgrade through WW at least in later years.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

joe_blow
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
If you install an underlayment below the laminate, it won't make any noise. You do have to leave it floating, otherwise it'll buckle in the summer or split apart in the winter.

My Weekend Warrior, also a 2008 Billet, had the Loncoin floor, and it was great!

Curious as to what Lincoin floor is? Is that a brand or design?

joe_blow
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both for the responses. I am not very savvy on this type of floor install, but it sounds like you both have great advice!

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
If you install an underlayment below the laminate, it won't make any noise. You do have to leave it floating, otherwise it'll buckle in the summer or split apart in the winter.

My Weekend Warrior, also a 2008 Billet, had the Loncoin floor, and it was great!
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
I just did our 5th wheel with floating vinyl planks from Home Depot. I glued down the edges that jutted out on the slides, but otherwise left it floating, as that is what is recommended by the manufacturer. I don't find it has a hollow sound, if the planks are clicked together solidly they lay flat.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter