Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you shut off when leaving for a trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What do you shut off when leaving for a trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/20 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend that went away for a week and three days into his time away, he got a call that his house caught fire and it burned to the ground. Even though His neighbor was watching/walking/feeding his two dogs and was at the house several times a day, they perished in the fire. Fire investigators determined the fire was caused by the refrigerator motor overheating. You can never be too careful.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/20 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made a "take list" which lists everything we need to address before leaving---
Notify credit card companies, get $$$, arrange for mail pick up, water shut off, clothes to take, equipment to take (genny, chairs, hike gear, etc) set watering, heater, ---and so on.
The list is on the computer and I print it out and leave it on the counter so it's the last thing we check before leaving for any trip. So far, the only item we've forgotten were the trailer keys. DOOOHHH!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suppose there’s a lot of what ifs that could happen, but how is being gone for say a week or 2 different than being gone at work for 12 hours or gone overnight or for the weekend?
Would y’all do all this stuff for a weekend getaway?
I understand basically leaving for an extended period of time like for the season. Sure, clean out fridge/freezer, turn off water/heater. But what if you don’t winterize? Then leave heat on, but worried about fire hazard from some other appliance?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/20 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do nothing (shut off AC?). My electricity is free (solar). If something goes wrong, my homeowners insurance will handle it (I pay for the insurance). My neighbors are great. It the water line breaks...they'll shut it off. How do I know? It's happened.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turn off the water at the valve outside, turn off water heater, turn up AC to 82 or so, secure garage door, put covers on all sink and shower drains, put wrap on the toilet bowls, give the neighbor a gift card for watching the house and keeping the pool filled. We leave for a few months at a time .

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Except this season, we've been sunbirding. We live in the south and were spending the summers in the northeast. We shut off the water, the hot water heater off, empty the fridge and freezer (and leave both doors open), turn up the A/C upstairs and turn the A/C off downstairs before we leave.

One year, the wife and kids went back home for a few days while I stayed up north. She turned the water back on, the hot water heater back on and set the A/C at a comfortable level both up and downstairs. They went out for a couple hours waiting for the house to cool down only to find it raining in the garage when they returned. The expansion tank on the hot water heater had ruptured. If that had happened after we left for the season and the water was on, we'd have one seriously high water bill. We had to replace four 4x8 sheets of drywall, fortunately, nothing in the garage was damaged.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back when we had a house...we would just trip all the breakers except for the circuits with the fridge and sump pump. This was typically in the summer, so we just left the HVAC off (midwest).

Usually didn't bother if it was just a weekend.

When my parents would snowbird, I would help them blow out the water lines, so then they could shut everything but the sump pump down for the winter.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shut off my well pump -- and turn AC up (not off)

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

8ntw8tn

Southeast Iowa & Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we're going to be gone for a few days during the summer I don't do much at all. When we leave for the winter it's a different story. Shut off the water, turn the thermostat down to 50, turn on the security cameras, double secure all but one entrance into the house, shut off the breakers for my wood shop, empty the fridge and unplug it, turn on the temperature monitor with auto dial, and lock the door. I have a friend who has a key and checks the place at least twice a week. He stores his motorcycle in my garage while we're gone and gets a 1.5 liter bottle of Makers Mark when we leave and another when we get back.

'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any time we leave home, we turn off our water well pump, our water heater, and the RO system, and if during summer .....our lawn irrigation system. We do this on any trip exceeding 1 day.....you never know if you will return home as expected! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What do you shut off when leaving for a trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.