cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding second AC myself

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few questions. 1- should I try it myself and 2- which unit should I buy?

We have a 2018 Outback 325BH. It is prepped for a second AC in the bedroom. The primary ducted AC is a Coleman Mach and I am pretty happy with that until this past week when the temps were 90-100 with a ton of humidity, and the campground was fairly open (little shade). It really struggled all week and literally did not turn off. Reviewing videos on line it seems like it would replace the bedroom vent. Anyone have a link to a good video you suggest? Also, I feel like the coleman is quieter than our old Dometic. Should I stick with same brand? Being a bedroom AC noise is a major concern.

Finally, how in the world would I get this up to the roof of my camper??

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a Atwood if your concerned about noise. They are the quietest I've ever run across and also the most electrically efficient.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'd go with the same brand A/C you currently have.

Installing them isn't that difficult if the rig is pre-wired.

Getting the new unit on the roof is the hardest part.

I replaced my A/C unit a few years ago which I show how to do in this video

Add blue thread lock to the bolts too, like I show here
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
Quiet? None of them are quiet enough to sleep with running in the bedroom. IMO, it only helps cool the whole coach while both are running during the day.

And that is likely plenty, but still prefer the quieter the better. We did have 2 nights last week that did not drop below 88 with high humidity. I was able to aim our bathroom and bedroom vents both into the bedroom to make it tolerable, but it was struggling. Otherwise, most of our summer nights are in the 60's and 70's and then the single would have no problem at all.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Quiet? None of them are quiet enough to sleep with running in the bedroom. IMO, it only helps cool the whole coach while both are running during the day.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interestingly, there is little agreement on which models are quieter. I have been doing a bunch of research and one person says Coleman is quieter, the next says Dometic is quieter, the next says domestic sounds like a jet taking off, Furion now has one.... Crazy that the manufacturers dont post DB ratings so you know factually. Trying to find anyone with inventory of all the pieces is a challenge as well. I am quickly thinking this might be a spring of 2021 project at this point. Another 45 days here in PA and I likely will not need the second AC anyway.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
Thanks all! Any thoughts on where to buy these AC units online? Don't see many options on Amazon. I think a 13.5 unit would be plenty for this application.

Till I moved to FL, I knew little about AC and put no thought into it. Now I know that bigger is not always better and can be worse. Too large a unit will short cycle and humidity will remain high.

In the desert may want the biggest available, in humid areas I want the smallest one possible to keep humidity at bay!

I have an 8k window unit in mine and can just barely keep up with no shade on really hot days, but is small enough to keep humidity low at night!

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
this is how one couple got there ac up on the roof from the back of there truck.
slide ac up a ladder

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all! Any thoughts on where to buy these AC units online? Don't see many options on Amazon. I think a 13.5 unit would be plenty for this application.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I added the second AC in my Bounder, I installed a slightly smaller unit so I could operate it when the campground electric was marginal.
bumpy

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I will be adding a 2nd AC to our Class C soon. We are not prepped for 2nd AC (no hidden wiring ready for the unit) but will be using the vent above the master bed. The bedroom is always 5 to 10 deg hotter than the rest of the unit...just the way the layout is and the fact we have 1 vent, the last one on the line, coming to our bedroom. FYI -- I will be running an external plug and using the 2nd AC only at the campsite on those super hot/humid days. It will not be able to run off our genset in the C.

Point is, the suggestions so far are all good....esp. the part about lots of youtube vids. There is one out there with a guy doing EXACTLY what I just said...conduit hiding wiring to external plug for occasional use. I think the hardest part is going to be getting the unit on the roof...and the suggestion of ropes, plywood as a sled is right on.

Once I'm on the roof of my unit, I plan on having the extension ladder EXTENDED further to make the slope "less" so i'm not pulling the AC unit straight up.

dpglifestyle also says leave in box to pull up on roof -- something I had not considered...but will be since it will have a "built in sled" via the box.

dpglifestyle
Explorer
Explorer
Not really that hard to get up on the roof. One person on the roof to pull the rope other person on the ground. Leave the unit in the box, wrap rope around it and push and pull it up an extension ladder. If the unit is truely preped for 2nd air the wires will be tucked under the vent bezel and the manufacturer can tell you where the thermostat wire is buried in the wall. Check and see if the existing ducts terminate at your existing vent cover and if they do I would install a unit that can hook into the existing duct work
2015 Lifestyle LS36FW
2016 GMC 3500 CC Dually

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago I would have muscled the AC onto the roof with sheer brute force and beer.

Now that I am older I do not drink beer and have a bad back from muscling things around with sheer brute force in my youth, I make a simple sled from plywood and a couple pieces of wood for guides and pull the AC up an extension ladder.

I do not trust my roof so use pieces of plywood to distribute my weight and try to stay close to the edges or over inside walls. Short pieces of pipe can be used to roll the unit around. PVC pipe works well, is easy to cut and cheaper that a chiropractor visit.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Coleman is quieter than a Domedic. THe eastest thing to do since you are not experienced is to install a unit with the controls on the face of the unit. No t-stat wires and t-stat to install. Also a non ducted unit as you are just trying to do the bed room. Again less work. Just remove the vent and place the unit over the hole. Grab a six pack and watch lots of you tube to see how it is done. You will have to get very creative as to how to get the unit one the roof. Fork lift, tractor with front bucket, 3 people with lots of rope and ladders. Near by tree and a block and tackle. Think outside the box.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.