Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1998 holiday ramble endevor

marcm1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Ok I'm completly new to this but just want to put this out here for some feed back, I have a reallly good friend who has a 1998 holiday rambler 38' with the 360hp cummings motor, 49,000 miles, in pretty good shape but has been sitting in their back yard for two years, went by today and it fired right up, it needs new tires, slide has an issue and there has been leaking by toilet so floor in there has to be fixed, they want to just give me to have
it to fix it up and get it running they hate seeing it just sit and go bad, I told them yes but how much trouble am i getting my self into, lol??
went up top and this has a metal roof and can see where places that it has like a 4" tape connecting it to fiberglass front and back needs alittle attention but overall it just needs a really good cleaning no leaks inside it looks like.
What needs to be done as far as service work for motor and transmission etc on this I'm not sure other than oil change they have done anything major.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

marcm1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Matt,

I will try my best, I decided a long time ago that when I go to do something asking people who know is the first step to learning the right way to do something and cutting corners is not for sure!!!

I will keep you guys posted and be prepared to answer some questions! LOL

Thanks to all!!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Marc,

I do hope you understand what a relief it is to us to see someone approach the situation:
A- With eyes wide open
B- A proper attitude to make it right

As to diesels, they tend to be maintenance fussy, but otherwise forgiving. Keep the fuel clean and the lube oil up and they will take care of you. The big bozo nono is running it out of fuel. The injection system is very pressure dependent. Cummins engines used to be better about this than many, but they still don't like it. So, learn to change fuel filters (always carry a set) and how to re-prime the system when you do.

Enjoy the journey.

Matt - a lifelong waterman and big engine guy
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

marcm1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much for the words of wisdom, I have been redoing a 2004 fleetwood wilderness 25' bumper pull, totally removed everything off roof and replaced and removed and redid caulking, used dicor for everything, removed everything from all sides, buffed, compounded and waxed everything and replaced inside and out every light with leds, along with a ton of other stuff the last 5 weeks so I have a pretty good idea but going to one like this with a diesel engine just a bit more involved to say the least,i have an uncle about 30 min away who is a retired diesel mechanic so going to pick his brain, the people who had it bought it to tailgate for their college football team and parked it during the season and paid to leave it set up, they had everything completely done when they got it and said if they have put 2000 miles on it that would be on the high side.
I do ceramic tile and corian counter tops for a living so have full shop to do most anything for it

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
From my point of view, I will say that even a coach that is this new will have a lot of catch-up maintenance to do.

If you take this on, not necessarily a dumb move, start a maintenance book right away. In the Vintage RV world we have a saying,"If you can't prove it has been done, it hasn't been done."

A vehicle that is that old (past about 15) will need:
**All the rubber replaced or at least carefully inspected. This means all hoses, not just coolant, but brake, fuel, hydraulic and air lines too.
**The cooling system flushed because the corrosion inhibitors are all gone.
**The brake system flushed because the fluid has absorbed moisture.
****Note - these last two when done along with the rubber replacement are kind of "self done".
**A complete lube service. This is something you should learn to do.

You will have to approach this like you have a 20+yo truck carrying a 20yo house that has been in a 15 year long earthquake.

Can this be done? Yes
Can you do it all? Yes
What will it cost? Depends - if you are a capable technician, ~1K$us
If you pay someone to do it --- probably 2~3K$us
Wondering if you can do it? If you are literate and can read the service books you will be ahead of the guys you would probably at World Camper. And, you will know it got done correctly.

My POV?? Our coach has 70+K on it and is out for the 15th season. I do everything it needs. She is over 40yo and still going strong.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently running a 2000 model. Very similar to yours as they did little changes until 2001. It’s a very good basic Rv. The toilet leak is likely a valve or seals or both. Not hard to change and rebuild. Slide mechanism is very visible from basement. Should not be hard to fix. Good luck and enjoy.

Bruce_Brown
I agree with all of the above.

If, however, you change your mind please let me know - I'd be more than happy to take on the project. :B
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Just do it. 🙂

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
The price is certainly right! Take your time fixing it up. Back then HR was a top notch brand, not to be confused with the mainstream HR's of today. Enjoy your experience and your new (to you) motorhome!!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
50K miles? Drive the thing. At some point you'll need to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses, trans fluid change, oil change, bleed the brakes, ect....but, for FREE? Take your time and enjoy it! That may not be a Prevost, but Holiday Rambler is top notch.