Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas to Diesel

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Just some info please.
I have an existing fuel tank that has been used for gasoline for quite a few years, is it ok to use it for diesel? thinking about changing to diesel tow vehicle.
thanks, Jeff
7 REPLIES 7

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Not a problem except you will want to cut the nozzle restriction out of the fill tube in order to accommodate some of the larger diesel nozzles

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
It may vary from state to state, but in general, to be pedantically techically legal, you'd need to paint the can yellow as well before putting diesel into it. I doubt many law enforcement people or fire marshals would really care too much about gas can color for personal use provided you're otherwise using appropriate cans and generally being safe and acting properly.

There is something to be said to following the color conventions to avoid confusion, if for no other reason. It doesn't make for the most productive of afternoons if you fill up your lawn mower or portable generator with diesel instead of gasoline.

Edit: Obviously things are a bit different for non-portable tanks, such as vehicle mounted tanks. Painting is probably not required, but there may be other changes that should or need to be made. Going from gasoline to diesel should be simpler than vice-versa, I think; some basic setups that are legal for diesel are not for gasoline.

It is an in bed auxilary tank.
tool box tank combo, i paid $1000 for it and really don't want to buy another.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It may vary from state to state, but in general, to be pedantically techically legal, you'd need to paint the can yellow as well before putting diesel into it. I doubt many law enforcement people or fire marshals would really care too much about gas can color for personal use provided you're otherwise using appropriate cans and generally being safe and acting properly.

There is something to be said to following the color conventions to avoid confusion, if for no other reason. It doesn't make for the most productive of afternoons if you fill up your lawn mower or portable generator with diesel instead of gasoline.

Edit: Obviously things are a bit different for non-portable tanks, such as vehicle mounted tanks. Painting is probably not required, but there may be other changes that should or need to be made. Going from gasoline to diesel should be simpler than vice-versa, I think; some basic setups that are legal for diesel are not for gasoline.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Is this just a storage tank (maybe an in bed tank) or the main vehicle fuel tank?

Assuming it's an in bed tank, empty it completely and relabel it for diesel and you are good to go.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've only done it 100 times. Same can, different fuel.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sure. When it is empty itโ€™s just another tank. But, get all or as much gas out of it as you can and fill it full of diesel. What little gas is still in there will be so dialuted it wonโ€™t matter.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. Drain it completely.