cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinghy Tow Tacoma w/Manual Transmission

sprocketsandwhe
Explorer
Explorer
Really hoping you can shed light on things as we are being told by Superior Driveline that we don't need to purchase one of their driveshaft disconnect kits because our Toyota Tacoma has 5 speed manual transmission. Yet, owners manual, Toyota factory and dealer, and company that's going to install our hitch to flat tow, all say that disconnect kit is required. Who do ya believe.... Thought you all might be able to explain why or why not for need to disconnect drive shaft. Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
sprocketsandwheels wrote:
2 Wheel drive; rear. No trust in owners manuals on the subject. Have 2011 Ford Edge, manual says it's flat towable, but both Ford and Dealership said no. Along comes 2020/2021 Edge and manual reads same as my 2011, and they advertise it's towable. =

V6 Edges ARE flat-towable. It's clarified in the Recreational Towing sections (vs the Emergency towing section, which says dollies must be used, because an accident could prevent putting it into Neutral Tow mode).
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
When we were looking, I was told, like "route forty", toyota does not approve any of their vehicles to be towed 4 down.
I moved on, if you flat tow a standard shift toyota and it works out, great, I just didn't want to invest money to "see" if it worked out.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
routeforty wrote:
If I remember correctly they said that Toyota makes no vehicle that can be towed 4 down(but I'm not positive on that one).

Actually that is incorrect, Toyota has made several models that are flat towable. However Toyota does not approve of ANY of it's products being towed 4 down. They just don't want the legal liability and warranty hassles involved. For example since 2010 Toyota has made a 4Runner edition called the OFF ROAD or later TRD OFF ROAD that has a MANUAL shift transfer case and is 4 down towable.

Any Toyota product that has a MANUAL shift transfer case is 4down towable.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
OK, here's how I see it. Disconnect it, no harm can come of it. Leave it connected ..... ?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why are you distrustful of the manufacturerโ€™s written instructions for four down towing? Has Superior put their opinion in writing...or just โ€œtoldโ€ you?

Superiorโ€™s limit of liability...page two...https://www.remcodsc.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/REMCO_Rev121219.pdf

โ€œThe exclusive remedy under any and all warranties and guarantees expressed or implied is limited to the repair and/or replacement as provided herein. In no event shall SUPERIOR be liable for any indirect, incidental, special, exemplary, punitive or consequential damages of any nature whatsoever, including, without limitation, any such damages for loss of proits, loss or delay of equipment use or other intangible damages.โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had a drive shaft disconnect on my S10 pickup.
hated it.
bumpy

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Was considering a tacoma last year to tow 4 down. Went to Toyota dealer to enquire-after going through the service department, and them telling me that they had called Toyota, I was told that towing a Tacoma(manual trans.)4 down, was not recommended or couldn't be done(don't remember which one). If I remember correctly they said that Toyota makes no vehicle that can be towed 4 down(but I'm not positive on that one). Did not consider a disconnect
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Y-Guy
sprocketsandwheels it's ultimately up to you, but the owners manual and Toyota dealer/factory have said no, so why would you take the word of a shop? For me if the owners manual says no that is good enough for me. Unless the shop is going to warranty and fix your truck I wouldn't trust them. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to tow it, it IS towable! It is, after all, YOUR vehicle.
However, there is a good chance the output shaft bearing (and possibly other parts) at the rear of the transmission will not be lubricated while towing, and will eventually dry out and seize, destroying the case and shaft.
My personal opinion is that the Owners Manual is the Be-all and End-all when it comes to instructions about how to use the vehicle. Ignore the instructions at your peril.
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
all of the knowledgeable sources say no and you are looking for a yes from us???????
:s
bumpy

sprocketsandwhe
Explorer
Explorer
Remco says driveshaft disconnect is required.

sprocketsandwhe
Explorer
Explorer
2 Wheel drive; rear. No trust in owners manuals on the subject. Have 2011 Ford Edge, manual says it's flat towable, but both Ford and Dealership said no. Along comes 2020/2021 Edge and manual reads same as my 2011, and they advertise it's towable. But Tacoma reads it's not towable.

Y-Guy
For the fun of it check to see what Remco has to say too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The owners manual is generally considered to have the correct answer to towing 4 down.
Not all manual transmission equipped vehicles can be towed 4 down.
Does your Tacoma have all wheel drive? That can make a difference.