cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire choice

v2k
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at different tires for our F350. The truck has Michelin LTX A/T on it now. When not pulling the truck rides real rough.

I am looking at Continental Terrain Contact A/T - this tire has a rebate on it now

Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 3 - highest price of the 3

Cooper Discover ATP - lowest price

Has anyone had these tires on their tow vehicles? Would you recommend any of these tires?

Thank You
27 REPLIES 27

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like Toyo from Les Schwab and Coopers. They get over 60,000 miles a set and are quiet. I rarely run the rear tires at 80 psi, almost never.

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin tires are over rated in my opinion. Can't get more than 32K out of them with proper air and rotation on my 2007 HD 2500 Chevy. Had a four year old set and the sidewalls let go pulling my 5th wheel in El Centro on a Sunday. Only place to buy tires that day was Sears with more Michelin LT tires. Not a happy camper but had to keep moving. They were much better years ago but the new ones don't impress me. Now I am not sure what to purchase either. Firestone use to have the best tires with Steeltex radials but they had been discontinued years ago. The new truck came with Firestone Transforce so will see what they will do.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
v2k wrote:
I run 80 lbs in the tires. I will have to try running with less air when not pulling.
I am leaning toward the Continental Terrain A/T tire from Discount tire. I was hoping to get some reviews.

Every tire is going to ride rough at 80 psi when empty. Your current brand is not the problem. Your running psi is.

But hey the tire says 80psi.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
v2k wrote:
I run 80 lbs in the tires. I will have to try running with less air when not pulling.
I am leaning toward the Continental Terrain A/T tire from Discount tire. I was hoping to get some reviews.

Every tire is going to ride rough at 80 psi when empty. Your current brand is not the problem. Your running psi is.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

blt2ski
monkey44 wrote:
Be careful running too low on HD "E" tires, if you do, the sidewalls might crack and come apart while driving. I run mine at 65 empty and 75 hauling the TC. That seems to work fine, and I get a nice ride at both pressures. My truck wears BFG 285/70 "E" shoes ... 🙂

This might be true for the xx.5" tires. Not sure about even inch tires.the bead is shaped different on xx.5" tired. So running low psi effects them more than even inch tires.

Maryy
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

specta
Explorer
Explorer
v2k wrote:

I have a 2500 and I run 50 front 45 rear when the truck is empty.
Makes a HUGE difference in the ride vs 80 psi.

I have driven 85-87 mph for hours for thousands and thousands of miles on 5-6 different brands of tires on this truck and never had a single tire issue running at the lower tire pressures empty.

I now have Michelin Agilis CrossClimate tires and they are hands down the best tires I'v ever had on my truck.

link Agilis® CrossClimate®

I've had Hancook, BFG, Cooper, Big O (Cooper), Yokohama and now these Michelins.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the Pep Boy brand of Coopers on my 2500 Duramax. Seem OK.

I had Firestones until I had a blow out left front when towing my 5th wheel. Found they rotted in between the tread, I have no idea why.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
monkey44 wrote:
Be careful running too low on HD "E" tires, if you do, the sidewalls might crack and come apart while driving. I run mine at 65 empty and 75 hauling the TC. That seems to work fine, and I get a nice ride at both pressures. My truck wears BFG 285/70 "E" shoes ... 🙂

Uhhhh, nope. Not a thing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Any doubt about Michelin tires cracking in the sidewall, just google Michelin sidewall cracking, and you will have more reading then you will care to read. I didn't need 20K to find out on a couple sets of Michelin tires . I didn't learn my lesson on the first set :S.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Bob E. wrote:
I have Firestone TransForce AT's on my truck ('13 Ram 2500) and most of my driving is just running around empty. So I drop rear pressures down to about 50psi. When I'm loaded or towing the camper, I up the pressures to 80psi per the sidewall max pressure. I'm on my 3rd set and got 50,000miles out of each of the first two sets (which is why I keep buying them)...and probably could have squeezed a bit more but snow was coming.

I had the OE Firestone Transforce HT's ,and I didn't get 30 K out of them on my 2014 Ram 3500. rotated every 5K . Many reports of terrible mileage out of the Firestone Transforce. You must have the touch :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can document around one million Michelin miles with ZERO cracking running 35-80 psi. YES I do run HOT weather as in AZ and SoCal.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:

Not sure how low you mean ,I run mine 45-50 psi when empty. You may be referring to Michelins ,they don't need low pressure to cause cracking, they can do that all on their own .:)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Be careful running too low on HD "E" tires, if you do, the sidewalls might crack and come apart while driving."

35psi is the lowest pressure listed on the stock "E" tires on my 15 DRW RAM. If you think 35psi "might" cause sidewall cracking please show examples of this.

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I have Firestone TransForce AT's on my truck ('13 Ram 2500) and most of my driving is just running around empty. So I drop rear pressures down to about 50psi. When I'm loaded or towing the camper, I up the pressures to 80psi per the sidewall max pressure. I'm on my 3rd set and got 50,000miles out of each of the first two sets (which is why I keep buying them)...and probably could have squeezed a bit more but snow was coming.