cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch extension options?

JrStafford
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up a really nice 2000 Lance Lite 915 last night. I bought it knowing full well that it wouldn't work with my trailer, but jumped on it because it was in immaculate shape and priced about half of what I think it's worth. I'm wondering about options for extending the hitch on my truck to make it work with my trailer?

My truck is a 2012 F250 Super Duty with a factory hitch installed. The trailer I pull for firefighting is pretty heavy, it's about 12,000 pounds, maybe a bit more with equipment loaded. But now, my ball is about 24 inches under the bumper step on the Lance camper. :h

I have looked at Etrailer and done some research, and I'm having trouble finding any options other than this:

1) Torklift SuperTruss hitch- $650
2) Torklift SuperTruss hitch extension- $545
3) Curt weight distribution system- $500

Ouch, that's $1700 plus shipping (and maybe labor, depending on the difficulty.), to even use my new camper while pulling my trailer.

Are there any other options out there for hitch extension for pulling a 12,000 trailer?

Camper was priced cheap enough that I will spend the $1700 if I need to, but would LOVE to do something for less if possible.
19 REPLIES 19

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Firefighting is an important job. It is worth it to do it right.

The SuperHitch/SuperTruss system ratings are straight-up ratings. No "de-rating" is necessary. If it says 1200/12000, that's the capacity of the hitch.

If a 24" extension will get the ball out beyond the rear of the camper, then you might be able to use an 18" extension for a higher capacity and stability. Most trailer tongues can be a little bit under the overhang and not cause any issues.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Agreed with that size of trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JrStafford
Explorer
Explorer
msiminoff wrote:
The SuperHitch, SuperTruss and load distributing hitch are the right way to do it.
In the long run you will regret cutting corners on this... do it right the first time.
-Mark

After reading this thread and all the opinions, I agree. It actually seems to be the only safe way to it too.

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
The SuperHitch, SuperTruss and load distributing hitch are the right way to do it.
In the long run you will regret cutting corners on this... do it right the first time.
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Matthew_B , now that's a blast from the past . Hope you'll stick around for a while , it will be interesting .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember right, that truck had some welding done on the frame by the owner for the owner fabricated camper tie downs. Dang if it didn’t fail right where the welding was. Maybe that’s why the mfgr doesn’t recommend doing that.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The story made several returns on this and other forums, but even I tried, the owner of the rig never made a statement, although some report was mentioning about the rig taking road bump at speed.
Some other sites had videos of the rig actually being driven in this condition.
FORD TOUGH. :C

Matthew_B
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
We don't know what original poster hitch is rated for, but rule of thumb says that for 2 ft extension you derate it by about 30% so for 12k trailer it would have to be 18k rated.
I took a picture before of 22k hitch on my F350. The brackets went all the way in front of suspension mount, when lighter hitches hang on rear overhang only.
It would be a shame if OP would try it and come with picture similar to this one.

Anyone know the back story on this picture? It looks like the frame failed somewhere forward of the rear axle. I've never seen a complete frame failure on a 1 ton.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
I went through a similar dilemma after buying out camper. Looked at extending the trailer tongue, but that only solves it for that one trailer. Still lightly on the table, but not likely.

My trailer is 6100 lbs so a whole lot less, but not many more options.

I bought a torklist extension for $320 nearly new.
I'm waiting for a torklift hitch to show up on craigslist. Then I'll make the change.

There seems to be a lot more torklift takeoffs for Fords around here than for Chevy's. You might find the same.

I'd also look into overload springs and a swaybar.

Keep an eye on craiglist and facebook marketplace and piece it together.
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
If you pay attention, the set on the picture is having tongue extension.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If you went with a trailer tongue extension it would lighten the tongue weight on the hitch. It would be relatively cheap.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

JrStafford
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
We don't know what original poster hitch is rated for, but rule of thumb says that for 2 ft extension you derate it by about 30% so for 12k trailer it would have to be 18k rated.
I took a picture before of 22k hitch on my F350. The brackets went all the way in front of suspension mount, when lighter hitches hang on rear overhang only.
It would be a shame if OP would try it and come with picture similar to this one.

:E

Good grief, I don't want to recreate that picture. Maybe I need to spend the $1700 and be done with it. Wow!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

dwrat
Explorer
Explorer
Have a second 2" square reciever welded below your current receiver and then buy this for half price of new.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/d/phoenix-supertruss-super-truss-hitch-29/7162963345.html