cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a TT (rough roads, no campgrounds)

zeke_b_campin
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for suggestions for a new TT. A few years back, we owned a unit from Outdoors RV. It seemed well built but was too large for the places we like to camp. We camp as far in the back country that we can in CO/WY/MT. I need a trailer that can handle rough roads/forest service trails/etc.

-need something that can sleep 6 WITHOUT using the eating table for a bed.
-24ish feet box
-outdoor kitchen
-Our budget is only 30k or so.

Recommendations to look at?
45 REPLIES 45

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
The Demster is an amazing trip. I've done it twice. The first time, in 2005, with a Jeep Cherokee and a Coleman pop up. The second time, in 2007, with my Ram CTD and a 24 ft. Nash. I had planned to go again this summer but gave up because of the issues with crossing the border. When I went, the road ended in the village of Inuvik, more than 200 miles north of the Arctic Circle. They have, since, pushed the road the last 50 miles to the Arctic Ocean so you can, actually, drive to the Arctic Ocean. North of the Arctic Circle, the road is on a gravel berm to keep from melting the perma frost.There are sections that are fairly rough and, at least, one 12% grade that can be challenging when it is muddy. 4WD recommended. You cross two rivers,the Peel and the Mackenzie on ferries. Bridges would get wiped out every year during spring break up.The tundra, north of the Arctic Circle, is like no place else on earth.From the beginning at the intersection with the Klondike Highway, just south of Dawson City in the Yukon Territory, it is about 229 miles to the first available fuel at Eagle Plains. Plan accordingly.The 500 mile trip will take two days. The Dempster is one of the most beautiful and unique trips I have taken in my life. I hope to do it, at least, once more in which case I can report on how a 30' trailer with two slide outs handles the road. I realize that this post is a bit off topic but, hopefully will relate for some to the origianl idea of rugged ttailers.

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't done the Dempster but that's a pretty good recommendation...
canoe on top wrote:
Northwood, which makes Arctic Fox and Nash and a few other brands, builds their own frames in house. If you look at the frame on an Arctic Fox and, most other trailers, you will see why they have a reputation for being rugged.They also spec the suspension to allow for a genreous CCC which means that, with normal loading, you are well below the maximum capacities of the trailer. Ron Nash, who started the company, wanted to build a trailer that he could take elk hunting in the mountains of Oregon. The result was a four season, stout trailer that can handle some rough treatment. Some years back, I towed a Nash up the Dempster highway in the Yukon and Northwest territories. Up and back, it's about 1000 miles of unpaved road. Prior to that trip, I did quite a bit of research which lead me to choose a Northwood product. I wasn't disappointed. Strong usually means heavy. My current, 30' Arctic Fox with, two slides, weighs 10,000 lbs ready for camping.That's heavy but, it doesn't break.It handles very nicely behind my Ram 2500 CTD.

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Northwood, which makes Arctic Fox and Nash and a few other brands, builds their own frames in house. If you look at the frame on an Arctic Fox and, most other trailers, you will see why they have a reputation for being rugged.They also spec the suspension to allow for a genreous CCC which means that, with normal loading, you are well below the maximum capacities of the trailer. Ron Nash, who started the company, wanted to build a trailer that he could take elk hunting in the mountains of Oregon. The result was a four season, stout trailer that can handle some rough treatment. Some years back, I towed a Nash up the Dempster highway in the Yukon and Northwest territories. Up and back, it's about 1000 miles of unpaved road. Prior to that trip, I did quite a bit of research which lead me to choose a Northwood product. I wasn't disappointed. Strong usually means heavy. My current, 30' Arctic Fox with, two slides, weighs 10,000 lbs ready for camping.That's heavy but, it doesn't break.It handles very nicely behind my Ram 2500 CTD.

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
downeastr wrote:
Why isn't anybody recommending Arctic Fox / Nash?
https://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trailers/

I've heard Arctic Fox are really strong campers. I just bumped into someone offroad in Sedona with an old one. He loved it. The only problem that I can see is that they tend to be heavy but that can be fixed with the proper truck. I imagine they do great on the right roads.

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
Steve76eb wrote:
Cortttt wrote:
Clicck wrote:
afidel wrote:

That's a Black Series trailer. They're an Aussie designed, US built trailer. .

Hardly, they are a chinese designed copy of what an aussie trailer looks like.

Plenty of other forums have posts about the poor quality, junk materials, and poor assembly.

There are people who get duped into paying big dollars because it looks "Aussie" LOL.

I wouldn't fall into the trap of assuming that because something was made in China that its low quality. (Half of our stuff including IPhones are made in China). I would be wary as well of concluding from a couple of posts that something is low quality. There is a Black Series Facebook site. I saw one guy with complaints - the rest seemed pretty happy.

My question regarding these big, beautiful trailers is how well they do off road. That's actually pretty hard to tell.

A guy at work just sold his Black Series after less than 2 years. Bought himself a ORV. The reason you do not hear of too many people complaining about the Black Series is the ownership has threatened litigation against people who complain about their product. Some dealers have stopped carrying them do to quality issues.

Going from an BS to an ORV just doesn't compute - those are two different animals. Sounds like he wanted to do more off roading.

I have heard a number of things about BS - some not good and some good. I'm keeping an open mind.

downeastr
Explorer
Explorer
Why isn't anybody recommending Arctic Fox / Nash?
https://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trailers/
John
'07 Navion "H"
Maine

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now days they do make trailers for remote off rough road camping. They are usually small and I see them on all the dealer lots. Many brands to choose from now.

Steve76eb
Explorer
Explorer
Cortttt wrote:
Clicck wrote:
afidel wrote:

Plenty of other forums have posts about the poor quality, junk materials, and poor assembly.

There are people who get duped into paying big dollars because it looks "Aussie" LOL.

I wouldn't fall into the trap of assuming that because something was made in China that its low quality. (Half of our stuff including IPhones are made in China). I would be wary as well of concluding from a couple of posts that something is low quality. There is a Black Series Facebook site. I saw one guy with complaints - the rest seemed pretty happy.

My question regarding these big, beautiful trailers is how well they do off road. That's actually pretty hard to tell.

A guy at work just sold his Black Series after less than 2 years. Bought himself a ORV. The reason you do not hear of too many people complaining about the Black Series is the ownership has threatened litigation against people who complain about their product. Some dealers have stopped carrying them do to quality issues.

Cortttt
Explorer
Explorer
Clicck wrote:
afidel wrote:

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Build your own start here: https://turtlebacktrailers.com/getawayseries/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Oliver trailers. Welded aluminum frame and double wall hand laid fiberglass construction like a boat. Narrow width will track your truck better if running in ruts. You won't find one to sleep 6 though.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
The best factory TTs for off-road applications would probably be Outdoors RV made in Oregon. They have a suspension system with shocks, welded aluminum frame and very large tanks. They are designed for off-road use.

As an ORV owner I beg to differ. Adding shocks and a CRE3000 to a 60's style trailer frame does not make it off road capable.
The independent style suspensions on the Aussie style TT's is the only true off road version.

ORV's are intended for off the grid use. All ORV trailers are too big and long for serious off roading. They're fine for gravel roads and dirt roads that any Honda Accord could drive down. My driveway is not even steep and my rear stab jacks almost rub the concrete when backing in or pulling out.

As for Black Series trailers origin. It seems hard to get the facts. From reading on various forums it seems that they're Aussie designed with China made frames and or box and assembled in CA.

I would call to see if I could do a tour of the factory if that interested. If they don't let you see the factory then that will tell you something.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best factory TTs for off-road applications would probably be Outdoors RV made in Oregon. They have a suspension system with shocks, welded aluminum frame and very large tanks. They are designed for off-road use.