cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Often Do you Get Skunked on FCFS Camp Spots?

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hate the fact there are so many First-Come/First-Serve camping spots at the National Parks & Forest Service campgrounds. I really prefer camping in National Parks & Forest Service campgrounds (especially if wanting forest/mountain camping) but the lack of reserveable spots is a major impediment to doing so for us. We to go RVing for relaxation purposes, therefore heading out for a weekend trip without having reservations in hand is anti-relaxing / stressful.

Seeing a lot of YouTube reviewers saying they rarely get skunked when it comes to being able to find a FCFS site in any given campground. That seems a little rosy-er than what I would think would be the case.

What's you guys' experience with this stuff nowadays?
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10
19 REPLIES 19

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I donโ€™t like to reserve since they straightjacket my schedule. Also hate reserved but empty campsites wasted with others turned away.
I have two agree, but do admit that I'm retired, so I don't need to fit a trip into a narrow time slot.

I do make reservations for things like rallies, and holiday weekends, but since I never know when I'm going to be where, reservations generally don't work. I do often, particularly on weekends, make phone calls in the morning to find what will be available later in the day, and usually stop for the night by 2:00PM.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also doing the 9-5 situation with weekends off, so reservations are necessary most of the time. Most USFS campgrounds in this area need reservations, and there are few FC/FS sites in those CGs. There are some FC/FS campgrounds in this area of northern Colorado, all sites are non-reservable. Going to try my hand at boondocking in the Snowy Range of Wyoming in August, with a fall back of using one of the USFS CGs up there (that are all FC/FS CGs).
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
1. National parks need to make more RV spaces to keep up with demand.
2. There is no reason to have FCFS spaces, especially on busy weekends. The AZ state park system has a wonderful online reservation program that let's you pick your dates and space. The Feds could easily follow suit, which would lead to happier campers.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:

Recently, we had a reservation at a campground on Rend Lake in southern IL. Beautiful lake, and we were staying 9 days and wanted a FU site ... so we reserved. Apparently, the check out time at that park is 4pm, and it's common that folks stay until 4pm. Yes, I know that's the rule...but we arrived at 1pm thinking we would get in (Sunday reservation). Nope. Between 3:50pm and 4:30pm, the place was nuts with people leaving. Never seen that before in 23+ years of camping as an "adult".

I camp at Rend Lake often, although I haven't been this season due to family. Normally people are leaving their sites before noon and park in the parking lot while they boat all day. A small number will boat and then come off the lake around 3:00 to pack up and leave. Usually it's pretty quiet by 1:00.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has not happened yet but we have been in some places where it is a major concern. 30 miles of road including the last 10 as gravel and only 5 or 6 sites at the end for example. We got the last site but would not try it agaain
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have never been "skunked". We might have used a backup plan a couple of times always found a hole to crawl into. One key is flexibility. Generator and some solar really makes a difference. We never do reservations.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I start making reservations in November just so we don't get caught. With a little bit larger trailer, would hate to drive around looking for a spot. We did make a reservation last year then I tried to move to one of the FCFS spots that was not occupied, but the camp host said I would have to pay for both spots. I have not gone to an area just because I am not sure if the campsite would be full and didn't want to chance it.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I still do the 9-5, and won't even bother with FCFS campgrounds. Too much stress for me. Showing up on a Friday night and getting turned away would not be acceptable so I stick with reservations only.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Powertour wrote:
Hopefully some day I'll be able to retire & have the luxury a lot of you all have which is to arrive at places during the week!

I highly recommend it! ๐Ÿ™‚

But almost all of us did have to work before, so we know what it's like. That's why I really try not to take up space on the weekend, especially during the summer. (Plus, around Tucson, during the summer I prefer to stay home in the AC anyway.)

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully some day I'll be able to retire & have the luxury a lot of you all have which is to arrive at places during the week!
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Darn. I was hoping this post was literally about being skunked. Now that would be interesting!

However, being retired, I never arrive at a public (government) campsite between Friday and Sunday. In fact, when I arrive earlier in the week I try to be out by the weekend to avoid the crowds and make room for the weekend warriors. I've never had a problem finding a spot mid-week because, even if the official camp spots are full, there's no problem finding dispersed camping here in the West.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have never gotten skunked, but we have pulled into FS campgrounds and gotten the last or 2nd to the last site available. We usually arrive just before check-out on Sunday through Thursday and find available sites. I wouldn't try that on a week-end.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Never been skunked, but I guess it depends on where you go and when. I try to arrive on a Tuesday morning. The only time I've ever come even close was on the WA coast at South Beach camp.

I don't like reservations either.

agesilaus wrote:
Skunked??
Never gone fishing?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving that late mystifies me, mlee.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad