cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much can we tow with SUV?

Sunnygirl
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a travel trailer to pull with an SUV. Tow vehicle is a 2019 Yukon Denali 4x4 with a tow rating of 8100 lbs. and a payload of 7300. It seems like the latter will be the limiting factor. Maybe 1500 lbs. left after subtracting curb weight. 2 adults, 4 young kids and a dog will ride in the car (<500 pounds now but growing each year - the kids, hopefully not the adults!). Wheelbase is 116 inches. I'm thinking a 5000 lb. trailer is the absolute max - not sure about length. We like the Rockwood Mini Lite bunkhouse/Murphy bed floorplan, but think it might be too much.

Thoughts as to what the tow vehicle can handle or suggestions for family friendly trailers we should look at? We have a Hensley hitch from 18 years ago. (We've moved to a MH; this is for kids/grandkids).

Thank you!
15 REPLIES 15

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
In response to Mickeyโ€™s comment, there is a significant decrease in โ€œ18 wheeler passing meโ€ sway in my new Silverado than in the Tahoes. They weigh about the same so itโ€™s gotta be wheelbase. 116 vs. 147.

No question that wheelbase can make a difference - my sole point is that the oft-cited formula has no basis from a reputable manufacturer. Wheelbase is one of many factors that influence the capabilities of a vehicle.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can get all the info you need to figure out how big a trailer you can tow here: Clicky

Sunnygirl
Explorer
Explorer
**As others have said, no way your payload is 7300lbs.
Did you mean the Yukon's GVWR?
The actual payload capacity will probably more like 1300lbs.**

Yes, I'm sorry, I mean the Yukon's GVWR. After subtracting curb weight I think there's only about 1500 lbs. left, before people and "stuff." The people are small (150, 110, 45, 40, 30, 20), but the kids will grow.

I was hoping a lightweight trailer around 25' or less would work, but I'm thinking now that the only thing that might work is a popup, which they don't want.

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for a long answer to mkirsch. First, the OP was asking about towing a trailer with an SUV, and SUVs tend to have a short wheelbase suitable only for smaller trailers. SUVs also tend to have a high center of gravity due to high ground clearance and a narrow wheelbase - this makes them inherently less stable, and thus less suitable for towing. Secondly, the source of the wheelbase โ€œformulaโ€ for the rule of thumb of 110" for a 20' trailer adding and subtracting one foot of trailer for each 4 inches above or below 110". Source: "How to tow Safely - A Complete Towing Guide" by J.D. Gallant, 2003 published by RV Consumer Group. (My comment: lots of technology advances since 2003!)

If we were talking about trucks, then I would not have mentioned the โ€œformulaโ€ since a commercial truck with a short wheelbase tractor can pull a 53 ft. box trailer at highway speeds without issues because it's hitch is directly over the rear axle so there's no lever arm to affect the direction of travel.

Towing a travel trailer is a combination of lengths and weights and countermeasures. Wheelbases are like pivot points and the distances between them are like levers. If you push sideways on the rear corner of the TT, the wheels act like a fulcrum and the torque moment is coupled to the hitch ball, the next pivot point. The force X distance product for each end will be the same so the shorter the distance from the rear corner to the wheels, the less force is applied to the hitch through the longer moment arm. At the hitch, the next fulcrum point would be the rear axle of the tow vehicle, again the distance between the hitch and the rear axle becomes the moment that gets transferred to the front wheels. This is where the wheelbase comes in to play, the longer the wheelbase, the less force is applied to the front wheels. As far as weights go, if the tow vehicle weights more that the trailer the tail can't wag the dog, however if the trailer weighs more than the tow vehicle, the tail can wag the dog.

Proof of this leverage is the 5th wheel hitch, which puts the hitch directly over the rear axle and eliminates the lever arm between the hitch and rear axle that allows side forces to affect the direction of travel. This makes 5th wheel trailers inherently more stable than bumper pulled trailers and the lack of a lever arm largely removes the wheelbase of the tow vehicle from handling considerations.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And OP should look for more credible info before she gets scared that her new full size suv with the best available technology isnโ€™t capable of pulling a trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
RckyMtnVia wrote:
The formula I have seen for wheelbase is 20 feet of trailer for 110" wheelbase, with an additional 1 foot of trailer for every extra 4" of wheelbase.

If this formula were true, then a 3500 dually pickup can't tow more than a 20'-22' long trailer.

Cite your source for this forumula. I have NEVER seen any sort of formula.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Sunnygirl wrote:
Looking for a travel trailer to pull with an SUV. Tow vehicle is a 2019 Yukon Denali 4x4 with a tow rating of 8100 lbs. and a payload of 7300. It seems like the latter will be the limiting factor. Maybe 1500 lbs. left after subtracting curb weight. 2 adults, 4 young kids and a dog will ride in the car (<500 pounds now but growing each year - the kids, hopefully not the adults!). Wheelbase is 116 inches. I'm thinking a 5000 lb. trailer is the absolute max - not sure about length. We like the Rockwood Mini Lite bunkhouse/Murphy bed floorplan, but think it might be too much.

As others have said, no way your payload is 7300lbs.:E
Did you mean the Yukon's GVWR?
The actual payload capacity will probably more like 1300lbs.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Youโ€™ll hear everything from you need a dually to you can tow a 36โ€™ TT.
However, if you keep your trailer to a manageable length, say 26โ€™ giver take, itโ€™ll tow easy. Weight is honestly not much of a concern, within reason. WDH to handle the tongue weight and the 6.2/10speed chassis will pull whatever you put behind it very smartly and capably.
I wouldnโ€™t have issue with a 7-8klb loaded trailer at all.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
In response to Mickeyโ€™s comment, there is a significant decrease in โ€œ18 wheeler passing meโ€ sway in my new Silverado than in the Tahoes. They weigh about the same so itโ€™s gotta be wheelbase. 116 vs. 147.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Meaning no offense to the poster, the wheelbase formula mentioned above has been bantered about on these boards for years, and I've never seen any formal basis for it. From my best research, it seems to date back to an opinion on a towing blog awhile back, but I've never seen any trailer or vehicle manufacturer post any such formula regarding wheelbase. So, do with that formula as you will.

That said, in addition to much of the input above, I'd suggest you need to look forward a bit. You mention 'growing every year' with the kids. That is sure to be true, and it will happen in a hurry. I honestly think your 500 estimate is likely WAY under. Unless you have a remarkably petite family, 6 bodies plus a dog will rarely only weight 500 pounds. And, if it does, you are talking about very young children who have car seats, diaper bags, toys, etc. that all add up the weight in a hurry.

Nonetheless, even accepting the 500 basis, your current 500 pounds can readily become 750 in just a couple of years. It will likely continue well beyond that. Unless you are willing to move to a HD van in a couple of years, you want to make sure you buy a trailer based on what they will weigh near the end of your vehicle's life, not now. Otherwise, you'll grow out of it in 2 years and find yourself stuck with a pairing that can't haul the grandkids it's meant for.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m a three time Tahoe owner and NO Tahoe or Yukon can carry 7,300 pounds. Try 1,500 to about 1,800 pounds. Second, you donโ€™t want to tow at maximum rate just like you donโ€™t want to run your fastest every time you move your body.

However, I would have gone to 6,000 pounds of TT with my Tahoes but no more. My Winnie is 5,200 wet and loaded. Watch your payload numbers!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Comments embedded in red

Sunnygirl wrote:
Looking for a travel trailer to pull with an SUV. Tow vehicle is a 2019 Yukon Denali 4x4 with a tow rating of 8100 lbs. and a payload of 7300.

Doubt your payload is 7,300 lbs

Guessing it is your GVWR. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

There should be drivers door label that will have = GVWR, curb, Payload, front/rear GAWR

It seems like the latter will be the limiting factor. Maybe 1500 lbs. left after subtracting curb weight. 2 adults, 4 young kids and a dog will ride in the car (<500 pounds now but growing each year - the kids, hopefully not the adults!).

Suggest loading everything up and go weigh it. Axle by axle

That will then give you the true payload left for the trailer tongue

and what is left for a true max trailer your TV is rated for

Find the GCWR of your TV and subtract the actual weight from GCWR and that is the actual max trailer weight it is rated to tow

Wheelbase is 116 inches. I'm thinking a 5000 lb. trailer is the absolute max - not sure about length. We like the Rockwood Mini Lite bunkhouse/Murphy bed floorplan, but think it might be too much.

Thoughts as to what the tow vehicle can handle or suggestions for family friendly trailers we should look at? We have a Hensley hitch from 18 years ago. (We've moved to a MH; this is for kids/grandkids).

Thank you!
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget that 2 adults, 4 kids and a dog also means a LOT of stuff will also go along. They might even want to take bikes for everyone. Factor in at least another 1000 pounds for stuff. It's really hard for me to imagine an suv pulling anything adequate for that many people.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You have a lot of power, but suspension and brakes will lower the limit from max tow rating when it comes to a TT.

Please confirm the as equipped payload on the Tire and Loading sticker on your driver's door or door jam. "The maximum combine weight of occupants and cargo shall not exceed xxxx pounds".

My rough estimate is 6k dry is a good limit for you.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)