cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More water needed....

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
We boondock exclusively. I have a 30 gallon on-board tank and a long haired red-headed she devil that seems to feel that a hair wash every 4 days is critical to my survival. I mean...really?

So, anyway..we have struggled along the past 10? years but she is tired of the water nazi and I am tired of the whining....so, how to accommodate.

I thought maybe an underneath tank..and I could, but it would be 16 gallons. Not enough for the effort. I think I have found an answer..but I am looking for holes in the plan...

A 100 liter/30 gallon or 50, pillow water bladder on the roof. It will be about 1 lb a gallon. I have the space, I have the place...I have 4 anchor points. It would only be in use when we were going were off into the weeds. Otherwise, all folded up, neat n tidy. The valves are not an issue, it seems. A ball valve most likely, but perhaps two..one in, one out. Yes, the type that is potable water safe. I would glue a piece of rubber roofing..a patch? onto the existing roof to prevent wear. I will need a telescoping ladder...a good one...to allow me to get up, anchor...and so on.

If this is the right plan..it doubles my 'docking' time.

What say...?

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
61 REPLIES 61

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I decided to pull a trailer to haul water, I would mount both fresh and grey tanks, and water heater. Just use the trailer, with toy unloaded, as a bathroom.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
donut dave wrote:
you are lucky. i wash my hair daily.

I am not showing Sharon this.....

Gary

I don't have enough hair left on my head to worry about all this washing.

I wish I still had to worry about things like that. They all seem kinda trivial now at my age.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
donut dave wrote:

I am not showing Sharon this.....

Gary

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
GMH wrote:
Looks like a good solution, and a good bumper. Just check it to make sure it was installed by someone who knew what they were doing!

The bumper was properly installed along with the 12,000lb winch.

Gary

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
"Some areas allow gray water on the ground"

I have never been to a campground that permitted gray water to be dumped on the ground but...Even if you are somewhere that it is not outright prohibited, please DONT! It stinks to high heaven and everyone knows it. The garbage scraps in there will attract critters and not in a good way. Come on now folks, a little common sense here pleeeeese!

:S
Primary issue I see is the shower. Can we use the outside shower?

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a good solution, and a good bumper. Just check it to make sure it was installed by someone who knew what they were doing!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I have chosen to just throw some 5 gallon collapsing water jugs on the front bumper. It's not the best answer, but until I can get an actual structural examination and report, it is best. There are two aluminum struts on the roof where I would put the bladder, so..I am of the opinion, buttttt.

As I had said at the outset, this is a not often, maybe twice a year water need. As much as I really want the fancy $$$ plan, I shall settle for the $50.00 one. For now.

Gary

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep soap out of lakes and streams. Biodegradable soap still contains phosphates, surfactants and other compounds that are harmful to fish and aquatic critters. Use a plastic basin and a pitcher or a bucket to wash away from the shore.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Possible solution - go camping near lakes etc and use biodegradable soap -- that's what we did when we rented houseboats.
Kevin

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The old gray water discussion! Lol
Canโ€™t you nor no one else figure out where Iโ€™ve dumped gray water twice in the last 2 weeks.
Poof! Gone!
Love the irony of it.
Outdoor shower, ok. Doing dishes outdoors and Tossing dish water Out in the bushes, ok. Doing the same with a hose from a tank? Ohhhh Noooo!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:

I have never been to a campground that permitted gray water to be dumped on the ground but...Even if you are somewhere that it is not outright prohibited, please DONT! It stinks to high heaven and everyone knows it. The garbage scraps in there will attract critters and not in a good way. Come on now folks, a little common sense here pleeeeese!

OP said, โ€œWe boondock exclusively.โ€ Some boondocking areas do allow gray water on the ground. Their rules. We do it and its in wide open areas where people are not close together. It doesnโ€™t smell for long especially when in areas that dry off very quickly. Out in the desert you will see rigs parked for weeks and not move. They go to town and bring water back so where is all the water going? The black tank can last a long time but the gray has to be going somewhere. Its going on the ground.

There is no garbage disposal and water is at a premium so extensive dish washing is out while boondocking. We often use paper plates and a good amount of paper towels since we wipe food off the cooking utensils before washing. There is actually very little food matter going in the gray tank.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:

There is minimal odor when I empty my grey water tank. It is mostly shower water. For the kitchen sink, I have a fine screen that filters out all but very small food particles. Again, I have never had an issue emptying the grey water. It goes where ever the campground has designated for waste water for tent campers. There is almost always an area available which is often a sink or drain outside the rest room facilities.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
No food scraps in my Grey water. The kitchen sink is plumbed into the black tank. It depends on how a coach is plumbed.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."