cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Sales Push

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I just got off the phone with a RV salesman who informed me that he was low on inventory, trailers were selling as they come in, prices were going up, etc. He said that factories were down for three months and they were way behind. Any truth to any of this, or just salesman push?

I am not desperate for a new trailer and can wait to save a couple of thousand.
22 REPLIES 22

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:

However, like DKS said above, once the honeymoon period is over (usually after the second or third trip out!), then they'll either sit in the backyard slowly rotting hardly being used or they'll be hitting the market for sale within the next couple or so years, as other forms of travel get back on track. That of course is assuming it does!

That is true, lot of buying on a whim out there. I though for one love camping just as much as I did when we bought our first camper 24 years ago, of course we both grew up camping. Fortunately our fifth doesn't sit around idle.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Ejraste
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Ejraste wrote:
I am in the middle of looking for our first TT. We will be using it for smaller weekend trips and probably a long 7- 10 day trip once a year. Our goal is to find a seasonal spot to keep trailer on site and then pull off when we want to explore somewhere for the once a year trip. we definitely want one that has the actual bunk room as I have two small children. I'm currently looking at a 33' 2021 KZ sportsmen listed at 22,995. Is this actually a good price or should I wait around until Fall to see if anything else pops up?

To put it in perspective. We bought our 07 Cherokee TT it was 32 feet long and had a super slide and rear quad bunk bedroom as well as our front bedroom. We paid $22k back in 06. I would say with everything added into trailers 14 years thatโ€™s a good price!

Yeah I just haven't really ever looked for a trailer until recently. So I wasn't sure if I will get this size and style for any cheaper than that?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ejraste wrote:
I am in the middle of looking for our first TT. We will be using it for smaller weekend trips and probably a long 7- 10 day trip once a year. Our goal is to find a seasonal spot to keep trailer on site and then pull off when we want to explore somewhere for the once a year trip. we definitely want one that has the actual bunk room as I have two small children. I'm currently looking at a 33' 2021 KZ sportsmen listed at 22,995. Is this actually a good price or should I wait around until Fall to see if anything else pops up?

To put it in perspective. We bought our 07 Cherokee TT it was 32 feet long and had a super slide and rear quad bunk bedroom as well as our front bedroom. We paid $22k back in 06. I would say with everything added into trailers 14 years thatโ€™s a good price!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
This reminds me of the ole toilet paper shortage. :B

Ejraste
Explorer
Explorer

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
It is true on the smaller/lighter units for sure, as many don't have to upgrade for a towing vehicle necessarily.

Likely all due to so many restrictions on travel, reports of up here, out of province plates getting abuse even (slashed tires in some cases in BC) and folks wanting their annual vacations still.

After the initial shutdowns/stay at home orders, folks had/have pent up demand to get some kind of vacation in and many others are concerned about the idea of flying/cruising if it does open up, so RVing seems the best option to many. And the sun doth shineth a come and play light at this time of year!

However, like DKS said above, once the honeymoon period is over (usually after the second or third trip out!), then they'll either sit in the backyard slowly rotting hardly being used or they'll be hitting the market for sale within the next couple or so years, as other forms of travel get back on track. That of course is assuming it does!
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
We had a friend who just sold his fiver in three days after he put it on the market. Funny thing is he had no calls on the first day and then things took off in a hurry. Had people lined up to buy it if prior customers didn't pull the trigger. Got top dollar for it with no word of discount of can I make you an offer. I agree, things will turn down again after the flurry goes by and there will be lots of for sale signs on lightly used rigs.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
dks wrote:
I think there will be a lot of used RVโ€™s on the market next year. I suspect a lot of these buyers are buying them on a bit of a whim. On a normal cycle a lot of owners realize that RVing is not as idealistic as the videos purport and sell them after one or two seasons.

I have the same opinion.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Elkhart,Middlebury, Goshen, Shipshewana Indiana a couple weeks ago where most RV's are made. I'm there a few times every year. I've never seen such low inventory at the plants and the overflow lots. Most were just flat out empty.

The only inventory that I saw of any quantity was Amazon Prime delivery trucks and there were hundreds if not thousands of those. Many of the Sprinter van size but there was a huge number of UPS truck size Amazon trucks.

If they are telling you that inventory is low, you can believe that it's true.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Meh... demand is high right now, but you need to ask yourself why. The answer is that supply can't keep up. If you trade in your current RV, you might get a little more than you normally would, but then you'll either have to wait a long time for a new one, or have to fight with the rest of the people that are willing to overpay for existing stock. And let's be honest, RVs aren't known for high quality, and when demand is high you can expect quality to suffer even more as the push is for greater output.

Seems to me that it would make more sense (and cents) to wait out this temporary demand surge. Now, if you aren't opposed to selling high (now) and buying low (next fall or in 2 years) and going without a RV for that time period, jump on it.

Personally, I'd rather keep my known entity trailer and continue to enjoy it. In fact, our Vermont trip (supposed to be on right now) was cancelled due to new quarantines, so we rescheduled our group to our regular lake. Weather looks beautiful next week. I'm happy to keep my current, paid for, camper and enjoy it!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Same for boats too. A friend who sells boats said they basically had no inventory left by 4th of July, save for the very high end, and the very low end used ones.

My folks rented one this summer and now they want to buy one. I advised them to wait until at least next year.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Hang in there as the ones that buy for the 1st time, won't like something about Rving, and put it up for sale after the payments come due every month while the rv is sitting in the driveway. We made reservations for a month and a half trip and got three sites in every Rv Park in our time frame. Hitting Red River NM, Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone then head home (plus all the ones in between).

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
If an RV salesperson lip's are moving, he is lying.

That is simply not true. Sometimes they don't even move their lips...

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If an RV salesperson lip's are moving, he is lying.