cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transporting Raft from Campsite to Launch Ramp?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all--

I have a bumper pull toy hauler and a topper on my truck. I love fishing and wish I could take my fishing boat with me! Since I am unable and prefer not to tow doubles, I am considering carrying along an inflatable raft with small outboard for fishing and pleasure.

Considering a 12' Saturn fishing model with alum floor. I'll also carry a small outboard 2-4hp. Raft weight with floor is about 175#.

Once at campsite and I rig the boat, I need a way to get it to and from the launch ramp daily, as I do not want to deflate/inflate it each day. I'd like to set up and inflate day 1, and deflate and put away when we leave.

So, how can I safely get it to ramp and back to campsite daily?

I believe campsites to launch ramps, at most places where there is water (lakes/rivers), is about one mile or less.

Options I thought of....

1. Small portable trolley/dolly/trailer that is lightweight, portable, foldable and can be used to trailer it down to water/ramp.

2. Getting raft up onto my topper....but weight and my age make it prohibitive.

3. Adding wheels to raft for launching are great for walking raft into water, but I don't believe they are suitable for trailering to launch ramp

4.?????????
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
22 REPLIES 22

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
Light boat and raft dollies

We own a 12' Porta Bote with the porta dollies, so no need for a trailer, but I know plenty of Bote owners that make dollies/trailers out of PVC with long handles. Similar ones for inflatable boats are in the link above, just look at some of the photos for ideas. 1.5 inch PVC can support a lot of weight. I've seen some with just 2 back wheels and others with a 3rd wheel up front so all you have to do is pull, no weight to support.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Would something like this carpet carrier work?

carpet carrier

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
I'm posting these only for fun. This 1st one was in Alaska.

This one my daughter sent me yesterday on the way to the shore.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Elk_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have similar interest in fishing. Unless we're on a sightseeing mission we camp primarily in state parks and primarily those that offer good fishing. I am an avid hunter for good large mouth bass fishing. Just enjoy the sport because I am only interested in catch and release as a sport. My RV is now a Class C and car in tow. I have a small porta bote which I carry on top of toad and initially had same problem as you in how to get the boat once set up down to the river or lake. I solved this by purchasing a small trailer manufactured by Trailex.com. I have the model SUT-300 all aluminum and can be fully assembled in some 15 minutes. Basically two tires, axle, tongue in two pieces. Very simple I think the SUT-300 can carry up to 300 lbs. It is strictly for off road use. As long as I stay within the Park limits there is no issue in towing the boat down to the launch ramp. Trailex.com makes many different style trailers which you can see on their website. Once at campsite I assemble the porta-bote and the trailer and go back and forth fishing until we are ready to leave. I think the total weight for me on the trailer is only perhaps 150 lbs once I have loaded everything I will need when out on the water. I have been using the Trailex trailer for perhaps 8-10 years and its ideal for the life style we like. When we are camping there has to be good fishing nearby.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:

Fold up wheels. Pick up the bow and pull it to the water and after it launched you flip them up and Be on your way. Works well.

How do you like your Saturn?
Is your use similar to my intended uses?
Any suggestions, advice on purchasing a Saturn?
Considering the FB365....
Saturn FB 365
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:

Fold up wheels. Pick up the bow and pull it to the water and after it launched you flip them up and Be on your way. Works well.

Do you tow it behind your truck to ramp? I would be concerned about boat transom with all the bouncing.

I would like trolley to be able to:

-towed behind my truck
-quickly and easily be able to deconstruct/construct
-light weight
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ZINGERLITE wrote:
alot of jet ski guys build carts out of pvc pipe. light weight and easy to transport.

PVC is on my short list f ideas.....
BTW...your posted image can not be viewed
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway wrote:
Back when I was young and strong I used to take people on whitewater raft trips. I had a 12' bucket boat and a 16' self-bailer that I transported on a trailer. I got the boats to the water by giving out a shout. In no time I would have all the hands I needed. Everyone helped each other at the launch sites. 175 lbs. should be no problem even for a long carry.

Not willing to carry.....simple trolley that can be towed with my truck hitch is what I want
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ut
Grit dog wrote:
One of them Horrible Freight 4x8 folding trailers would do the trick. Store it in your toyhauler.

It would work, but but I'd like something lighter and simpler....that can be folded up and stored in back up my truck
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Lakeland Bob wrote:
Have you considered one of these, http://www.4boysmfg.com/? If you already have the boat it would save money from buying another.

yes; my buddy just gave one away! I don't need anything that sophisticated.....I'm trying to keep it simple
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Could something like this be modofied to pull to a ramp? Jet ski dolly

Check the different types of dollies on the web, some get pricey but some seem pretty reasonable.

There are some great ideas I am considering after looking at the jet ski trolleys.....many possibilities....?
Equal-i-zer 10K

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If you are talking a 2-4hp outboard, consider a roll up or inflatable floor model. You aren't going to get on plane anyway, so the advantage of a RIB (and the weight that comes with it) goes away. You can find these in the under 100lb range, so getting it up on the truck cap is likely more viable.

If the cap has a ladder rack, you could probably set up a simple platform that could lean against the back of the truck and then winch up onto the cap rather than lifting. It would take a little bit of fabrication but shouldn't be too hard.

If you are just looking at getting from the campsite to the launch within the campground (ie: topping out at 5-10mph), the wheels that attach the transom are quite viable and wouldn't be hard to make up a set yourself.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:

I wonder if you could rig something up to tow that. like the waste totes. doesn't have to be a trailer hitch but some sort of loop to put over the ball.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS