cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

O2 Sensors in 8.1 litre W22 Workhorse

hockeypop9
Explorer
Explorer
Having O2 sensor issues with my 2007 Fleetwood Southwind. Motorhome is built on the Workhorse W22 chassis powered by their 8.1 liter gas engine. Bought the motorhome new and currently has just under 50,000 miles. Only modification was the installation of the complete Banks Power System at the time of purchase. I am going through O2 sensors at what I feel is an abnormal rate.

At 32,000 miles the check engine light came on resulting in having one sensor replaced. Unfortunately the work order did not state the OBD code nor which sensor was replaced. Then at 38,000 miles check engine light came on resulting in code P0131 and the Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor being replaced. At 44,000 miles check engine light resulted in code P0151 and O2 sensors Bank 2 Sensor 1 & Bank 1 Sensor 1 being replaced. Now at just under 50,000 miles the check engine light is back and showing code P0131 and O2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 as the cause.

Losing five O2 sensors in under 50,000 miles cannot be considered normal. To add to the problem these O2 sensors aren't cheap.

Anybody else been down this road? Any thoughts?

And one last thing. I'm willing to replace the O2 sensor myself, but in researching replacement O2 sensors I have found an interesting price difference dependent on how you word the search. Keeping the search simple such as 8.1 liter or GM 8.1 liter O2 sensor results in considerable cost savings compared to a search in which Workhorse and/or W22 is added to the search information. Does the Workhorse W22 8.1 engine really require a different or special sensor than a generic GM 8.1 engine?

Lots of questions here but this has become frustrating to say the least.
Howard, Kristy & Chloe (the four legged boss)
2007 Southwind 34G, Workhorse W22, Banks Performance Package
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - toad
5 REPLIES 5

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Always find an OEM part number then google the number and you will find other sources cheaper.
Any of the replaced sensors have a warranty?

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
part number 234-4669 denso oem 42 dollars

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
O2 Sensor issues can be caused by other issues.
The O2 sensor is a 4 wire device it includes an electric heat element as I understand.... On my car there is an electrical issue going to/from the sensor so I get a batch of codes.. I've yet to track it down.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Your MAF is dirty.

Fought an O2 sensor problem for a year.

P0151 and P0152 Check Engine Light codes. Replacing sensor didn't fix it.

Got really bad on a long trip, took it to a shop in Salt Lake City where they cleaned the MAF.

No more O2 problems and gained a lot of power back.

Changing the O2 sensor is pretty easy but you have to buy a socket designed to remove them. I changed mine.

I suggest you spray it with PB Blaster the day before you change it.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I suggest you call Banks for their input.
No, the O2 sensors for something like a 3500 should be the same. Looking at Rock Auto, I would stay away from the "economy" version and go with "daily Driver"

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker