cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our Zion National park trip

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
((( We have 26 days of traveling to report so ’ll break them into sections )))

Our Cousin in Coeur D’Alene Idaho was getting married in July so instead of flying out we decided to make a road trip out of it since we have never been up there. Luck was on our side and the states were opening back up, just in time! Our plan was to leave home (from SoCal) July 1st and return Late July. We mapped out our route last minute (We started planning mid June) and now we just needed to secure Some Campground spots. Our first Destination we planned for was Zion NP - I ended scoring July 1st - July 3rd at Zion River resort in Virgin Utah which was about 15 miles or so to the entrance. I definitely recommend this CG, very clean, maintained and well stocked store plus the Virgin River flows right behind it. We didn’t want to spend just one day in Zion so we left June 30th so we can spend half the day on July first and a full day the 2nd. I did some research of BLM in the area and found Hurricane Cliffs. Hurricane cliffs has Designated camping spots and can be accessed off of HWY 9 & Sheep Bridge rd on the right hand side. This made it perfect for us because Zion river resort was only 5 miles away, If you want to visit Zion and not stay at a CG this is the place to be - it’s about 20 mins to the entrance and the views are spectacular.

We aren’t big Vegas fans and we never took our girls so we thought it will be cool to drive the Vegas strip so they can get a glimpse of it.

Hurricane cliffs for the night

The next day July 1st we checked into the CG got setup and then went to check out Zion to see how it’s operating without the shuttle service And take it easy so we can plan accordingly for the next day. We decided to take our lChinese folding bikes with us 🙂 little did we know to access Zion canyon you can either walk it, bike it or pay a private shuttle service like $30-$45 per person. We ended up finding out that on June 30th they opened limited shuttle service for $1 and you had to book on NP website to secure your spot.

We ended up biking it 3 miles (BTW It is all up hill) up to the canyon overlook trial which ended being a brutal 2 mile hike with fast elevation gain in low 90s temp - Needless to say the girls were pissed! Haha!

The park was slow and not many people out - it was fantastic.

As soon as we got down to the river we all jumped in - it felt so good and refreshing!

Now we knew what we were up against for the next day. We tried to get shuttle passes but it was sold out. I told the girls the bad news, if we wanted to walk the narrows We were going to work for it and ride our bikes the whole 7 miles up the canyon to the temple of sinawava!

We decided we have to get up early to get ahead of the sun and take advantage of all the Mountain shade. Waking teenage kids up In the morning is like pulling Teeth!!!!!

Every second of rest counts when your not a morning person lol

After 7 miles of riding up hill we made it to the narrows.

We ended up hiking 3 miles into the narrows so all in all 14 miles of biking and 6 miles of walking - we were beat at then end of the day but it was well worth it.

We had a great First time At Zion and especially with minimal crowds.

Stay tuned for my next report - Wyomings Grand Tetons NP.

Cheers!
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
17 REPLIES 17

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Your trip reports are always the best, eDUBz. Looks like you guys had a great time in ZNP. We'll be up there later this summer.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the chapters from your trip.

Thanks! Right now is the time to visit NPs - I really can’t believe how slow they were. I’m willing to bet they will start to get a little more crowded now that more and more people are getting tired of staying home. Have a fun trip. We are definitely going back to visit Utah considering the drive isn’t Bad at all.

dedmiston
Your trip reports are always the best, eDUBz. Looks like you guys had a great time in ZNP. We'll be up there later this summer.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the chapters from your trip.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtclods wrote:
eDUBz You always have great posting with good information.

Hey thanks! I gain a lot of knowledge from here before I started a social media Account so I like to share what know so hopefully others can use it.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz You always have great posting with good information.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
What a great trip report and I loved your commentary!!!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Lovely photos - thank you for sharing them.

Thanks! Alway a pleasure sharing our trip here. 🙂

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Thank you for posting the pictures and comments.

No problem, alway happy to share. 🙂

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
timing is important in the desert.

It only felt much hotter because of the riding and hiking we ended up doing - wasn’t sure what we were getting into but it was sure nice to have that water there

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Looks great, thanks for your trip report and photos, I always look forward to them.

We did a Zion, Coral Pink Dunes, Bryce, Paiute Trail trip with our family back in 2007, loved it. Except it was 105 degrees in Zion and about the same in Coral Pink.

Alway enjoy sharing with everyone here - can’t wait to get back to Utah and check out those places as well.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
We went thru Zion and Bryce today. Not too crowded at Zion but was sad to see the streams were dry.

Ah man that sucks it’s all dried up. The busiest part was the narrows, but the further we went in the less crowded it got.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Lovely photos - thank you for sharing them.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for posting the pictures and comments.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
timing is important in the desert.

Y-Guy
Looks great, thanks for your trip report and photos, I always look forward to them.

We did a Zion, Coral Pink Dunes, Bryce, Paiute Trail trip with our family back in 2007, loved it. Except it was 105 degrees in Zion and about the same in Coral Pink.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon