cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Ownership

Rvdude22
Explorer
Explorer
Me and my wife are new to Living in an RV full time. What are somethings you wish you had known before it happened and what are some tips and tricks you learned while being in an RV
7 REPLIES 7

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We travel for business so we try to make about 350 miles per day at 70 MPH. However, we had some issues with our coach recently and to get where we were going we could not exceed 60 MPH for very long without causing issues. We had to get there and doing 60 got us there. Here's the point......Driving 60 MPH was super relaxing and we actually enjoyed it. We enjoyed it so much that we did nearly 500 miles one day just to get ourselves back on schedule to keep our boss happy. I now really understand the concept of taking your time and smelling the roses. We may never do 70 again when the 60-65 MPH range was so easy. The only thing I didn't like was the number of times I flashed my headlights to let the 18 wheeler passing us that it was OK to change lanes....Whew!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Another here for 200 miles a day limit and travel the back roads. S l o w D o w n.

When you get somewhere (or just before you travel to it), thoroughly investigate what unique things may be in that area. You'll be pleasantly surprised what you find. Every little hole in the wall has Something interesting nearby.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also agree with the slow down. We usually travel 200 or less miles per day on days we travel and often pull into a park for an overnight, like it and end up extending our stay. We stay away from x-ways most of the time and choose to travel of US and state highways. We don't mind the little towns and find interesting things. We also stay away from large cities and toll roads. Other than perhaps out east, there is always a route alternative and not being in all that traffic makes for a lot easier travel, less stress and better moods. Get to your destination in time to set up and have a nice dinner and relax.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
Have an emergency fund. I put aside $0.16 per mile. When I need repairs--the money is always there.

Stay away from membership parks--of if you must buy them "second hand".

Have adequate solar resources for power.

Have a hybrid load support inverter/charger from a good company such as Victron, or Outback.

Don't drive like a madman to your destination--it will still be there if you are a couple of days later.

Avoid the interstate highways.

Make sure your insurance is for full time.

Have an exit strategy in place.

There are dozens of other good tips.

Enjoy the ride!

We do $200/month for maintenance...RVs need maintenance moving or not.

Membership parks can be OK but make sure they allow an exit strategy. Otherwise, there is no way out of the annual maintenance fees if it's a condo setup.

Unless you boondock a lot, don't worry about solar or inverter chargers.

Nothing wrong with using interstates. It's good to get off them sometimes but no need to avoid them if that's in the direction you are going.

Otherwise, I agree with the other comments.

A big one is to change your mindset...it's not a 2 week vacation where you have to cover 500 miles per day and see 6 sites each day. It's OK to have 100 mile travel days and do the tourist thing once a week. It's fine to have a down day (or week) where you do nothing. Lots of people try full time and hate it and claim it's expensive, but when you talk to them, you find they are doing 4-5,000 miles per month and they are touring something almost every day...eventually they just get worn out and frustrated.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Full-Time RVing forum from 5th Wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Iam wondering whats going to happen this winter around here in Canada with all the snowbirds. If they don't open the borders and we have a lot of full timers up here that live in trailer parks then south in nov. Might be in a bit of a pickle and have to rent some where. iam kind a of glad iam still working now because that was the plan.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have an emergency fund. I put aside $0.16 per mile. When I need repairs--the money is always there.

Stay away from membership parks--of if you must buy them "second hand".

Have adequate solar resources for power.

Have a hybrid load support inverter/charger from a good company such as Victron, or Outback.

Don't drive like a madman to your destination--it will still be there if you are a couple of days later.

Avoid the interstate highways.

Make sure your insurance is for full time.

Have an exit strategy in place.

There are dozens of other good tips.

Enjoy the ride!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.