cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A nice change from Social Media

Radioflyer99
Explorer
Explorer
I was just telling my bride how coming here to ask questions is so nice. To get the answers to your questions with out all the drama and misdirected answers. Thanks to all who give me straight answers and I'll try to do the same. Save camping all
14 REPLIES 14

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Radioflyer99 wrote:
I was just telling my bride how coming here to ask questions is so nice. To get the answers to your questions with out all the drama and misdirected answers. Thanks to all who give me straight answers and I'll try to do the same. Save camping all

You can also find answers to almost anything on Google or YT.

Its like a big huge library.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
A very good, and IMHO very wise, friend of mine refuses to participate in what he calls "ANTI-social media".

x2. I'm quite proud that I've never done Facebook or any of them. I don't want to be anyone's product. I see it as a huge waste of time and their data collection a disservice to humanity.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Facebook โ€“ Rules of Behavior

1st Priority โ€“ Family
2nd Priority โ€“ Real Friends
No acquaintances
No co workers
No old friends that you do not communicate with or care
about anymore

Do not over post/share. The less you post the better so when you do post it is special.

Do not like, share or click on any national brands, companies or products.

Do not link any non Facebook thing to your Facebook account. (apps, services, companies)

Do not like, share or click on any news items. If you want news, go to a real news site.

Stay out of politics, religion and any issue debates.

Only react to post from people you are friends with.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen plenty of non-helpful comments (misdirected answers?) on this forum, too, so I'm glad you got what you needed with a minimum of fuss.

Examples of the above:
OP: What's the best way to do that?
Comment: I don't like doing that.
Comment: Why would anyone do that?
Comment: Doing that is impossible.
Comment: I know someone who did that, but I have no idea how he did it.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are some decent groups on FB. A few are heavily moderated (I prefer moderation with moderation but.. Frankly. the heavy hand keeps it facebook instead of in-your-face book like some of the other places there are).

But I also have places that make this one look... Well

What can I say. Some of us believe in helping others. Most of us in fact.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried FB off and on for years and find it to be near useless. The constant prompts to get me involved and friend other users are quickly dispatched. I suspend my membership at times and only reactivate if there is something directly related to my real world.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Brings back memories when my Dad brought home our first B&W television back in the late 60's.
My Grandma pointed at it and said " that's a one eyed devil ". Lol

I limit myself to various forums of interest, here some fishing forums.

Never had a FB account, no newspaper and no TV watching.....wife claims that's why I'm so happy. Lol

Sorry OP if I drifted off topic.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
A very good, and IMHO very wise, friend of mine refuses to participate in what he calls "ANTI-social media".

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Radioflyer99 wrote:

I don't understand some of the replies to your post, but I appreciate the tone of your message and agree, this can be a really helpful forum with nice people helping out.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a FB account for years. Never used it except to post fishing videos to send to a buddy of mine.

Recently my 8 yr old grandson wanted to send me some stuff ( out of school and bored ) so I am back on but never post or comment otherwise. I do read some of the post and have determined a lot of people are very insecure and got way too much time on there hands.

Spend most of my time on this site, GD site, and general surfing the web for things that interest me. Don't need to tell the world every time I go to Walmart:)

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Radio,

You bashed a nerve right there. I discovered that there were a bunch of younger local owners that were not a part of the type community. This is a real shame because out community is very supportive. So, I started to pay attention on FB. That was a mistake. FB is much more about talking than it is about listening. I still read it, but I try not to get involved past tell new owners that they have support if they are willing to go find and get it.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Thoreau in his book `On Walden Pond' stated that one only had to read the news once per week (or was it once per month?) because so much of it is repeated and/or unimportant.
He went on to state that he could do without newspapers (and the post office) altogether!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to feel better, dont watch the tv news or major print news websites for a month.

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
There's too many people in this world without enough hobbies lol. Social media is the real plague!