cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rockies or smokey's

1biker1
Explorer
Explorer
when pulling a fifth wheel though the rockies or smokey's should you use cruise control, or down shift manually
25 REPLIES 25

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a diesel and a 19,000 pound trailer. I disconnect the cruise and go to manual shift when in the mountains. 4th gear seems to be the go-to gear.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
8 years of fulltiming towing a 14K 5er Never used Cruise and never will just put it in Tow mode and let it do it's thing
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Must be my 30 plus years of vehicle ownership before getting my first automatic but depending on grade I am in the manual mode often especially on the downgrades.

As smart as the truck is, it cannot see ahead of itself & shift ahead of a grade one way or another. Easy enough to make it kick down a gear going uphill before the truck thinks that it is time.

I am another who seldom uses cruise control unless out on open mostly flat highway.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Sunnysidebeach
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
I never use cruise towing in the mountains, and wonder why some do. I'm in no hurry, and its also hard on the power train.

I totally agree.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
Splashers3 wrote:
Some of you will get a chuckle out of this, but I NEVER use my truck's cruise control when towing.....NEVER.

X2

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to be "that guy" by varying my speed, jerking on the brakes repeatedly and just being a pain to the rest of the traffic, so I use the cruise as much as practical.

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you will get a chuckle out of this, but I NEVER use my truck's cruise control when towing.....NEVER.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I turn on the cruise control when ever I am towing on the highway. in the big mountians I use the tow haul but the rest just normal as all the tow haul in my ford does is hold shift points a little higher, all the other features of speed holding down hills and such work with the tow haul off.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
After 35 years of driving nothing but manual shift vehicles I guess that I am set in my ways. I like having control & seldom use cruise control except on light traffic flat highways.

Cruise control can't see a grade coming up ahead & speed up a little to get over it in top gear. Cruise control downshifts to a much lower gear on long downgrades resulting in a screaming engine as it tries to maintain set speed.

I prefer to put it in manual mode & control which gear is used myself for the downgrades. Let it get up to 2600rpm or so, a short burst of heavy braking to knock speed & RPM back down, let it build again, repeat. Shift back to auto tow mode near the bottom of grade.

I imagine the newer trucks are even smarter than my 06 but going uphill a little twitch of the foot will make it downshift sooner than it will on it's own.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Auto pilots can't surf and cruise control can't climb hills...
The older we get, the faster we go

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edd505 wrote:
garyp4951 wrote:
I never use cruise towing in the mountains, and wonder why some do. I'm in no hurry, and its also hard on the power train.

Not so in the newer diesels with the exhaust brakes. The ECM/TCM will hold the set speed & downshift as necessary & the CM's will not let the motor self destruct. As posted tap the brakes on occasion to slow & hit resume.

Sorry I should have said going uphill, and I always use tow haul with full exhaust brake.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
PUt it in TOW MODE (usually on the end of your shift lever)...let the truck do the rest. No Cruise over mountains.

The TOW MODE will do engine/trans braking going down hills, and keeps it out of OD, and keeps gears longer...better towing experience, IMHO, over mountains.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I like cruise and use it a lot. But, it is a dumb robot and it cannot think ahead. On secondary roads, that are twisty turny, that I have driven for years, I know what is coming next. Why let cruise top a mountain at 55, just so I can stand on the brakes for the 25 mph turn on the far side? Those big, long multi mile grades out west, cruise is great. Appropriate Technology for the task at hand. Now, if cruise could be slaved to GPS, and interpolate elevation change, and the customer could do a little programing, yes, then we could almost use it all the time. Might as well get self driving too!!!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:

Not so in the newer diesels with the exhaust brakes. The ECM/TCM will hold the set speed & downshift as necessary & the CM's will not let the motor self destruct. As posted tap the brakes on occasion to slow & hit resume.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold