cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First goof up, I have to share

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Prepping our new FW for our first shakedown trip. I am no stranger to RV's and find it easier to fix what I can rather than get bogged down in warranty work. Anyway, saw that one of the screws on the strike plate on the door lock was loose. So I tightened it. closed the door, tested the locks etc to make sure all was good. The door would not re-open. I messed with it and messed with it for what must have been 10 minutes, undoing the lock and doing it again and would not budge. Started to panic. Thinking here I am trying to prep for a trip and I've screwed up the door on our brand new camper. What do I do, call a locksmith? Then I realized, I locked the deadbolt and wasn't turning it far enough to unlock. Thank goodness no one was around .. :S
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
11 REPLIES 11

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
B92F wrote:
We were at home working on ours one day, both of us had a set of keys. DW set her keys just inside the door on the counter. I was futzing around with the door lock, apparently locked it with the door still open and also set my keys on the counter just inside the door. Closed the door and as it clicked shut realized that both set of keys were inside the trailer. Road service came out and we were able to get it unlocked.

Now there is a third set of keys in the truck.

Another time while out camping we locked the trailer up and went into town to the store. Got back and could not unlock the trailer. DW suspects someone tried to use one of the generic keys (we had changed out the lock set) and messed it up. Ended up having to "borrow" a fellow campers small child and petite wife to crawl in the back window and open up from the inside.

I did this at a music festival, both sets got locked accidentally in the camper. Had a Keystone Impact at the time. So we wandered around the camping area and found another Impact, and that guy's keys opened our rear garage door on ours. Got lucky.

Now we have the touchpad RV Lock.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
When we were pop up camping years ago, we headed to the beach. We got there, and neither of us had the key to unlock the pop up drop down door or the lock from the hitch. They were at home on the counter! We had to drill the fold down door/step lock out, and we just removed the entire pin from the truck leaving the ball attached to the camper.

And one pop up trip years ago, my mom and aunt decided their purses were safer locked in the van than the pop up. They both had a van key, just incase one got lost... or locked in the car or something. That was a great idea until neither one took the van key out of their purse before they locked the door!
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
We locked ourselves out up in Baltimore once on a Sunday. Called Coach Net and in 30 min we were back in. Automatic locks!!!!!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll, While I certainly understand your momentary panic......I wish that my โ€œscrew-upsโ€ were that minor. Mine usually involve body work or pretty serious mechanical skills and/or labor! After having owned diesel trucks for 27+ years.....I recently put gasoline in our Ram. After experiencing a โ€œnear strokeโ€, I got her home, dumped 34 gallons of 65/35 blend gasoline to diesel, added 1/2 gallon 2 cycle oil to 5 gallons of diesel fuel, flushed the entire fuel injection system to the injectors, and โ€œfired her upโ€! It appears that I didnโ€™t โ€œkillโ€ our Cummins! I Dodged (pun intended) a big bullet this time! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing.. on FB today I'm getting ads for RV keyless entry. Maybe because I clicked the clicky.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a story about keys.
I was setting up camp with pop-up. Got all done, could not find my keys. Not camper keys, but my KEYS. House, car, pickup, tool truck, shop, yard, tractor, my keys. All weekend I'm going nuts, some of the keys I can copy from wife's but it is going to be hard to remember to replace all. Lot of fun out of trip. Packing up, crank roof down, there is the ring, on the roof.
Next trip, on the pre-flight checklist; We switch key-rings. Camping ring has camper and TV. A house key lives in TV. All other keys stay locked up at home.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
We installed a keyless lock on our 5th wheel. It's so nice to not have to think about keys.
keyless

Yes, until the thing fails like mine did due to a broken wire. Keep a key hidden for any of those situations. We do. Peace of mind.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
B92F wrote:
We were at home working on ours one day, both of us had a set of keys. DW set her keys just inside the door on the counter. I was futzing around with the door lock, apparently locked it with the door still open and also set my keys on the counter just inside the door. Closed the door and as it clicked shut realized that both set of keys were inside the trailer. Road service came out and we were able to get it unlocked.

Another time while out camping we locked the trailer up and went into town to the store. Got back and could not unlock the trailer. DW suspects someone tried to use one of the generic keys (we had changed out the lock set) and messed it up. Ended up having to "borrow" a fellow campers small child and petite wife to crawl in the back window and open up from the inside.

Keyless truck entry got to love it, spare keys inside for everything.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
We installed a keyless lock on our 5th wheel. It's so nice to not have to think about keys.
I hear that.. good job.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
keyless
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

B92F
Explorer
Explorer

2022 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W 20K Companion