Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: First goof up, I have to share
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> First goof up, I have to share

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prepping our new FW for our first shakedown trip. I am no stranger to RV's and find it easier to fix what I can rather than get bogged down in warranty work. Anyway, saw that one of the screws on the strike plate on the door lock was loose. So I tightened it. closed the door, tested the locks etc to make sure all was good. The door would not re-open. I messed with it and messed with it for what must have been 10 minutes, undoing the lock and doing it again and would not budge. Started to panic. Thinking here I am trying to prep for a trip and I've screwed up the door on our brand new camper. What do I do, call a locksmith? Then I realized, I locked the deadbolt and wasn't turning it far enough to unlock. Thank goodness no one was around .. [emoticon]

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

B92F

Marion, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at home working on ours one day, both of us had a set of keys. DW set her keys just inside the door on the counter. I was futzing around with the door lock, apparently locked it with the door still open and also set my keys on the counter just inside the door. Closed the door and as it clicked shut realized that both set of keys were inside the trailer. Road service came out and we were able to get it unlocked.

Now there is a third set of keys in the truck.

Another time while out camping we locked the trailer up and went into town to the store. Got back and could not unlock the trailer. DW suspects someone tried to use one of the generic keys (we had changed out the lock set) and messed it up. Ended up having to "borrow" a fellow campers small child and petite wife to crawl in the back window and open up from the inside.

2018 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W Turnover Ball
B&W 20K Companion Slider

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We installed a keyless lock on our 5th wheel. It's so nice to not have to think about keys.
keyless

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

corvettekent wrote:

We installed a keyless lock on our 5th wheel. It's so nice to not have to think about keys.
I hear that.. good job.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B92F wrote:

We were at home working on ours one day, both of us had a set of keys. DW set her keys just inside the door on the counter. I was futzing around with the door lock, apparently locked it with the door still open and also set my keys on the counter just inside the door. Closed the door and as it clicked shut realized that both set of keys were inside the trailer. Road service came out and we were able to get it unlocked.

Now there is a third set of keys in the truck.

Another time while out camping we locked the trailer up and went into town to the store. Got back and could not unlock the trailer. DW suspects someone tried to use one of the generic keys (we had changed out the lock set) and messed it up. Ended up having to "borrow" a fellow campers small child and petite wife to crawl in the back window and open up from the inside.

Keyless truck entry got to love it, spare keys inside for everything.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

corvettekent wrote:

keyless

Yes, until the thing fails like mine did due to a broken wire. Keep a key hidden for any of those situations. We do. Peace of mind.

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a story about keys.
I was setting up camp with pop-up. Got all done, could not find my keys. Not camper keys, but my KEYS. House, car, pickup, tool truck, shop, yard, tractor, my keys. All weekend I'm going nuts, some of the keys I can copy from wife's but it is going to be hard to remember to replace all. Lot of fun out of trip. Packing up, crank roof down, there is the ring, on the roof.
Next trip, on the pre-flight checklist; We switch key-rings. Camping ring has camper and TV. A house key lives in TV. All other keys stay locked up at home.

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing.. on FB today I'm getting ads for RV keyless entry. Maybe because I clicked the clicky.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll, While I certainly understand your momentary panic......I wish that my “screw-ups” were that minor. Mine usually involve body work or pretty serious mechanical skills and/or labor! After having owned diesel trucks for 27+ years.....I recently put gasoline in our Ram. After experiencing a “near stroke”, I got her home, dumped 34 gallons of 65/35 blend gasoline to diesel, added 1/2 gallon 2 cycle oil to 5 gallons of diesel fuel, flushed the entire fuel injection system to the injectors, and “fired her up”! It appears that I didn’t “kill” our Cummins! I Dodged (pun intended) a big bullet this time! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We locked ourselves out up in Baltimore once on a Sunday. Called Coach Net and in 30 min we were back in. Automatic locks!!!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> First goof up, I have to share
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.