cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water leak on cold intake side.

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
My hot water heater has a small leak on the cold water intake side. It is a 10 gallon gas/electric atwood gc10a-2 hot water heater.

It is under the washer/dryer, which we have removed. The space is very narrow, only enough room to reach in with one hand. We replaced the fitting with one of the new style compression ones but it is still dripping. Iโ€™m afraid to tighten in to much. Any ideas? My next thought was to remove the metal fitting that goes into the tank to see if it is damaged.

Does anyone know if this is a check valve? I have looked on line and some say that there are two check valves, others say there are none. Looking for an answer to that question. Thanks all.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat
2002 Ford Explorer, drag along
3 Standard Poodles 1 Mini Poodle
Vancouver Island BC, Canada
5 REPLIES 5

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I am now leak free. Doug Rainer gave me some advice on how to seal the fitting.

It was the fitting attached to the pex that was leaking. Had to use a ton of teflon tape over leak putty and keep tightening it till it finally stoped. Was afraid I was going to break the fitting. They used a short plastic pipe fitting into the tank as there was not enough room for a brass one, so the female fitting was pushing up against the collar of the pipe fitting. The bottom intake on the tank is less then 3 inches from the firewall of the engine so it was a challenge getting at it and getting it tight.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I bet you will find a pinhole leak on the tank itself! Aluminum tanks will corrode from the inside out!
Just serviced my Atwood EXT hot water heater and thought I had a leak at a brass connection on the backside.
After pulling it 2 times I got my head up behind with a mirror and saw the actual leak on a aluminum collar that the fitting was threaded into! Used a piece of gasket and hose clamp.
It's dry now but I'm looking for a replacement tank.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the fitting and run a tap in till it starts to cut threads. Reassemble with a new fitting using a thread sealer.

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
most likely a pin hole in that area, or it would have not started to leak, your this far in pull it.

We replace the pex and the fitting. The water is defiantly dripping from the new fitting or where it screws into. Not from the tank.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
most likely a pin hole in that area, or it would have not started to leak, your this far in pull it.