cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wi-Fi Booster and Range Extender??

Griz14
Explorer
Explorer
What makes a good Wi-Fi Booster and Range Extender that doesn't require mounting it on the roof?

Thanks,

Griz14
14 REPLIES 14

Griz14
Explorer
Explorer
Griz14 wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
Griz14 wrote:
What makes a good Wi-Fi Booster and Range Extender that doesn't require mounting it on the roof?

I've been using this since 2011.
There are better things available now, but this works for my needs.
Is this an antenna without any boost of the signal?

Griz14
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Griz14 wrote:

Is this an antenna without any boost of the signal?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Griz14 wrote:

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Those really are two separate devices/ solutions if you want to do it right. We did weboost drive x for the cell and still working on the WiFi solution
Winnebago Access 24V

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Griz14 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Are you trying to boost the campground signal? If so I doubt a booster will help your connection.

Or are you trying to better broadcast your own signal?

Yes I am trying to pick up the campground Wi-Fi signal and boost it to my laptop better.

Save your money, get a good cellular hot spot and find the best data plan available. Using your phone as a hot Spot will give less than good service, a dedicated hot spot is much better.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why anyone would connect to the "free" wifi in a campground and expect any kind of speed, other than "maybe" google or yahoo is beyond me...

It ain't like you are going to be able to login into your Netflix account and stream movies all night long! ha, ha...

Not to mention, the security risk in tapping into those 'free' wifi sites at restaurants and such... Even with a VPN, you are more at risk if you feel safe doing that..

Anyway, get a data plan for your phone or a "mifi" device or something...

Don't rely on those 'free' wifi spots.. Just asking for trouble and you won't get any speed anyway, no matter how many "booster" you have.... ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Poor, slow wifi is the norm these days. A booster wonโ€™t improve a poor network.

I have pretty much given up on good wifi and went with a Weboost cell booster.
I have iPhones on Verizon with umlimited data we turn into a hotspot AND I bought an ATT based hotspot data only puck which I turn on a month at a time if Verizon doesnโ€™t fill the bill.

This works good enough to stream HD content.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Griz14
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Are you trying to boost the campground signal? If so I doubt a booster will help your connection.

Yes I am trying to pick up the campground Wi-Fi signal and boost it to my laptop better.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
And if you are going to look at non wifi, check your cellphone and plan. using a smartphone as a hotspot has become more or less standard.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking WiFi rather than a cell booster, you can't beat a Ubiquiti Nanostation combined with their Air Cube Router. Not automatic, but I've used the combination to provide a solid connection to a Loves truck stop 1 mile away. The Nanostation was mounted on a 6' painter's pole...

Here is a You Tube video showing how to set it up: Nanostation Set Up

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I canโ€™t make any recommendations on type or brand but when I installed our
WeBoost I mounted the antenna to the post that has the tv antenna. I havenโ€™t been able to try it in the wild but it works good in the driveway. Itโ€™s a little heavy but doesnโ€™t seem to strain it too much.

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
Griz14 wrote:

Thanks,

Griz14

I'll be interested to hear everyone's answers as I'm starting to search for a solution, too. Campground wi-fi is rarely useful, even in really nice campgrounds. I'll likely test out a jetpack or something similar to get cellular internet access.

Not sure if you have found them yet, but one good source of information is Mobile Internet Resource Center. Cherie and Chris from Technomadia have guides to help people with their mobile internet. No affiliation, just find their information useful.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
In RV parks the issue is usually bandwidth not signal strength. I use a booster to connect in my garage.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad