cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weight of your dinghy

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Those towing, we have two vehicles, both capable of being towed 4 down.
one is a 2006 Chevy Cobalt with right at 100k miles, and the other is a 2007 Jeep GC with a little under 100k.
I am buying a motorhome and will be planning an Ak trip for the spring as well as extended other trips in the future. The Chevy and jeep are both in good shape, with no outstanding problems. The Jeep weighs in at 4500+ lbs, the little chevy 1400 lbs less. We are not looking to do hard overland running, which would you outfit to tow for the Ak trip?
My only prior motorhome experience was a class c, 20 years ago, a few trips back and forth between Va, and Fl. No mountain runs, and it had a 460.
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Jeep ftw. But you’ll be able to take side trips like to McCarthy or the Denali highway in the cobalt, no problem.
Take whichever one is more comfortable for your wife to ride in
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
I’d do the Jeep lots of places there you’ll appreciate the extra ground clearance. It allows you to go down some roads you wouldn’t take a care, we towed a Jeep Cherokee up in 2010 and put several hundred miles on it that trip.
Winnebago Access 24V

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My personal recommendation is to go with the Jeep. It will have a higher clearance to clear debris on the road, especially when going to AK. Maybe set them both up to be towed. One for a trip like you have planned for AK. And the other for regular highway use to paved areas with no off-road (gravel,dirt roads) in sight!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
I dont have the MH yet, have already received $18K from Coast Guard in owed back pay, have another $30k coming on 1 sep from VA, will be buying a 2012-2015 model from that, working out the bugs through the winter, and going come April-May after the new Grandson is born.
I know i will be getting a gasser, preferable would be a 26-30 Class A, but with this year being so screwed up????????
I worry she will have a hard time with a Ford C getting her legs over the hump, so limited to a Chevy C or an A.
How much she will be able to get out and see from the toad is a toss up.

at a minimum you'll need a MH that is equipped with a Class III hitch (rated at a 5000-lb weight limit) and a tow bar capable of pulling 5000-lbs. and pay close attention to the GVWR and GCWR ratings as you'll need a minimum of a 5000-ln difference between the two. the good news is that most class a gassers in that time period will meet or exceed those specs. do not take the sales critter's or owner's word on any of the above. check the specs for yourself.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am not talking 4WDoff road trips. A vehicle with more ground clearance on some of the access roads in Canada and Alaska is beneficial. Some roads are gravel. Cobalt may get some damage.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I dont have the MH yet, have already received $18K from Coast Guard in owed back pay, have another $30k coming on 1 sep from VA, will be buying a 2012-2015 model from that, working out the bugs through the winter, and going come April-May after the new Grandson is born.
I know i will be getting a gasser, preferable would be a 26-30 Class A, but with this year being so screwed up????????
I worry she will have a hard time with a Ford C getting her legs over the hump, so limited to a Chevy C or an A.
How much she will be able to get out and see from the toad is a toss up.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't figure out what you are pulling it with, but we have made 9 trips to Alaska from the east coast pulling the Sliverado toad. We fish up there for the entire season and are about 7400 pounds going up and about 8100 pounds coming down. (17 cu ft chest freezer full of shrimp, halibut and salmon plus a basement freezer and the house refer/freezer). The Bus has a 450HP Cummins and handles the hills fine, although not at max speed.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Our ranger pickup is just less then 4000 lb, our 2 door elantra is just less then 3000 lb. We tow the one we want with us for that trip because we can pull either one and get the same MPG.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’d favor the Jeep. You don’t need to go off road, but you could.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
My first choice would be the Jeep. We travel some area where the Jeep is better suited. I do not see where you are traveling from. Long distance, you may want the Cobalt to save fuel.

South Boston Va. Mid atlantic, east coast. I love driving the jeep, but this is a bucket list trip for my DW. I dont see her being up to any real 4WD side trips. but dont want her to miss much. Bouncing hits her hard, just want to make this one easy.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My first choice would be the Jeep. We travel some area where the Jeep is better suited. I do not see where you are traveling from. Long distance, you may want the Cobalt to save fuel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tow which ever one you like to drive the best...just remember the less weight you tow the better MPG you will get & the less work your RV will have to do pulling.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo