cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Gas Heaters

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have a trip planned for early September, 2020, inside the Rocky Mountain National Park which is at an altitude of over 8000 feet. I have been considering a portable propane heater to supplement the furnace (to save battery) but note that there are alerts about them not working above certain altitudes. For example the Mr. Buddy or Big Buddy. Do any of you have experience using such heaters at high altitudes? I will appreciate your comments. I know we will need heat and wish to conserve the batteries as much as possible
18 REPLIES 18

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
padre wrote:
We have a trip planned for early September, 2020, inside the Rocky Mountain National Park which is at an altitude of over 8000 feet. I have been considering a portable propane heater to supplement the furnace (to save battery) but note that there are alerts about them not working above certain altitudes. For example the Mr. Buddy or Big Buddy. Do any of you have experience using such heaters at high altitudes? I will appreciate your comments. I know we will need heat and wish to conserve the batteries as much as possible

I am quoting myself the OP in order to report. We did make the trip as planned. We took a catalytic heater Wave 6 which we already had for in-home use. It worked fine and was enough, though I will have to say we were having unusually warm weather UNTIL ... the September snow storm hit. We solved that problem by "getting out of Dodge!" We left RMNP 2 days early and scooted down to Colorado Springs where we did, indeed, have snow. We were probably being extra cautious but we did not want to get stranded in a high altitude campground without any hookups or access to propane. We had a wonderful trip and thanks to all who responded to my request for advice.

Oregon_Ms
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Buddy heater. It does suck up the gas though.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the Big Buddy heater in a 30'bumper pull since 2006. It throws off heat like a fireplace. It's quiet, puts out a ton of heat, and is safe. Crack a side window an inch or so, and crack a vent and you're good.

Thousands of deer and elk hunters use these heaters in zipped up tents all over the country. I've don't recall reading about fatalities.

They're safe.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like others have said, I have used mine for the past 10 years, I only use it just before we go to bed mostly to heat up the bathroom area so wife can take a shower in warmth. I actually like the portable one that you can put it where you want heat. Never used it at night. Only use the MH heater in the morning to take the chill off from the night temps. It really saves on battery power. It has low O2 shut off and if it is tipped over will shut off. I have only used it down to 32 F and it heats the MH fine. Worked fine at YNP ft never had it higher.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Buddys for years. Many times at 9000' and a few at 10500. Output is less, like anything that runs on gas. But they still work. Use only during the day while you're awake. And crack a vent/window.Sleeping extra blankets at night.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Wish I'd bought the large one that you can adapt for use with the RV's propane. Even the small one sucks down those little green bottles fast.
I removed the regulator from mine and plumbed it into my low pressure propane line with a hose.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Been using a Buddy for 9-10 years. Only once did it not start. We were up around 5.000' at the time and I figured that must've been why.
We've never run it at night while sleeping, only in the morning and evening before bed if needed.
Only regret is we have the small Buddy. Wish I'd bought the large one that you can adapt for use with the RV's propane. Even the small one sucks down those little green bottles fast.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
My Buddy heater has worked okay up to 7000 feet. Haven't tried it at higher altitudes. It does give off moisture, but in the Rockies this would be a benefit because of the low humidity. I spend winters in Florida and have had no problems with the moisture. I open a side window and roof vent a crack to provide some circulation.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
I know we will need heat and wish to conserve the batteries as much as possible

Reisender wrote:
Howdy. We had friends in a similar situation and explored some of the options you are presently exploring. They chose to buy a 200 watt portable solar panel to just cover their extra power needs.

A worthwhile investment !

Personally, I don't mind sleeping in a cold room, even below freezing ! Extra blankets, a knit hat and I am good. They do make 12V heated mattress pads, but don't feel they are necessary.

Of course you will need something to take the chill off in the AM.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
X2 for an RV specific heater, not a buddy. The buddy type throw off so much moisture it can be challenging to manage if you're trying to stay sealed up keeping the heat in.

ANY non-vented propane heater puts out a lot of moisture. This is especially noticeable in a tightly enclosed space.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for an RV specific heater, not a buddy. The buddy type throw off so much moisture it can be challenging to manage if you're trying to stay sealed up keeping the heat in.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
They are safe for you...so far.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a Portable Buddy heater. We have been using one for several years, and they are safe.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
there are heaters made for rv,s out there ,not the buddy,s . google rv heaters.