cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Verizon IPhone hotspot with Dish Hopper for On Demand?

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dish keeps wanting me to hook to internet and they can’t seem to understand we are in an RV and don’t have regular internet available. Lol. Anyway I was wondering if I can use the WiFi hotspot from a phone to get on demand stuff. I have unlimited data so that wouldn’t be an issue.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
21 REPLIES 21

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve done it but “unlimited” isn’t really unlimited. You’ll eat up a lot of data really quick.
Larry

kwright
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone done schoolology driving in their motorhome? What do you use for internet? I have a Verizon phone but don’t have unlimited. Towing a Chevy with data plan but don’t get it in the motorhome?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the iPhone is also on Verizon then the hotspot would likely not make much in the way of improvement.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. I did download the dish Anywhere app on my iPhone. We have VERY slow internet where we are right now do I can’t try much. Would it be beneficial to get a separate Hot spot from Verizon for in the motorhome? Would it be faster than using iPhone hotspot?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
DC&MC wrote:
Dish keeps wanting me to hook to internet...I was wondering if I can use the WiFi hotspot from a phone to get on demand stuff. I have unlimited data so that wouldn’t be an issue.

I have Dish and a Samsung S8+ android phone. I also have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan.

I installed the Dish Anywhere app on my phone and can access my home receiver including recorded content.

I bought a $15 dongle from Amazon and use it with a long HDMI cable to pipe the phone video to the TV in the RV.

It works great.

Tim

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
I use an iPhone as a hotspot. They time out every so often and have to be reconnected. I was told there is no way to change the setting. I just had to do it again...

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I'm streaming on our FireTVstick right now with our unlimited data $25/mo Visible plan by Verizon. The service is prioritized on congested towers, but that has rarely caused us any problems. The plan is unlimited talk, text, and data with hotspot capability on phones, but I have the Visible SIM installed in a Verizon 7730L hotspot that gives us a better signal and overcomes the one device connection limit for hotspotted phones. We average 75-100 GB/mo on the Visible plan, and another 75-100 GB on our grandfathered Mobley $23/mo Connected Car plan with the Mobley SIM installed in a Netgear Unite Explore 815s hotspot. Oh, and I should add that our Dish Hopper is currently connected to the Explore and works fine with it for on-demand and app programming.

On the other hand . . .

My Visible SIM is in an 8800L Jetpack, but my Mobley is still in its original "packaging" (no SIM swap) + I have a Cradlepoint MBR1200 router that has a USB760L modem which uses a 2018 40GB New Verizon Plan.

Of the three (Visible, Mobley, & 2018 40GB), the Verizon 2018 40GB plan is the most dependable and the fallback when the Visible and Mobley aren't performing well.

And that happens often enough so that I typically burn through those 2018 40GB every month. So those two "unlimited" plans (Visible & Mobley) cannot always be counted on.

Finally, the AT&T Mobley is no longer available so why bring it up?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I'm streaming on our FireTVstick right now with our unlimited data $25/mo Visible plan by Verizon. The service is prioritized on congested towers, but that has rarely caused us any problems. The plan is unlimited talk, text, and data with hotspot capability on phones, but I have the Visible SIM installed in a Verizon 7730L hotspot that gives us a better signal and overcomes the one device connection limit for hotspotted phones. We average 75-100 GB/mo on the Visible plan, and another 75-100 GB on our grandfathered Mobley $23/mo Connected Car plan with the Mobley SIM installed in a Netgear Unite Explore 815s hotspot. Oh, and I should add that our Dish Hopper is currently connected to the Explore and works fine with it for on-demand and app programming.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
chast wrote:
What Verizon doesn’t tell you is that when you connect anything to the hotspot the speed drops from the fast 4G to 600mpbs which is slower than the old dial up used to be!
Gotcha.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
There are still "grandfathered" plans out there.

Link(s)?
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are still "grandfathered" plans out there. Most are 3G but they are out there. There are plans available that have unlimited data that allow streaming for the entire month. You may not get 100MB speeds, but most of us can get along just fine with 1-5 MB down for most of our needs.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
There are still plans out there (not all at 4G) with unlimited data without the 25G wall. I still have a full 4G plan with the Mobley.

So do I, but the Mobley plan is no longer available.

The “unlimited” plans that are left are capped, throttled, and/or networked managed.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, nor in name only. There are still plans out there (not all at 4G) with unlimited data without the 25G wall. I still have a full 4G plan with the Mobley. This is about right for my average month and you can see there's still 5 days left in the month. No slowdowns. It's not super fast but I have never been too slow to stream.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
There are still unlimited plans out there.

In name only, Bill.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs