cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnemucca to Klamath Falls on 140

UtahBluegrass
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip from Salt Lake City to Brookings on the Oregon Coast in September. Route planners suggest taking NV/OR 140 from Winnemucca to Klamath Falls and Grants Pass. I've not driven 140 before. Pulling a 30'travel trailer. Any issues to be aware of? I'm in no hurry.
2013 Evergreen Everlite 29RLW
2013 Ram Laramie diesel 4x4
Parties 10, Feeds 4, Sleeps 2
14 REPLIES 14

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven the route from Adel OR to Medford in Hwy 140, as recently as two years ago, and it's a beautiful drive. I have not driven the section from Denio to Adel, but I am attaching a link of a video of the descent of the pass between the two, but it is probably a video of the 8% grade going the opposite way; E/B. Other than that section I think it's a nice drive. https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/oregon/doherty-slide-white-knuckle-driving-or/?fbclid=IwAR1S0BUCEaRGrqYm-KQanMYVblRnYHopWW2M46zMKR-5r9-90z4HqgVcxoc
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks to donkeydew.
Do your best to never drive roads like this at night. Much of the rangeland in Nevada is not fenced. Horses and cattle on the road are hard to miss at night. You cannot see them very well, and you cannot stop very fast when towing.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
one of my favorite roads,very little traffic,i love the scenery. one small climb
be aware of livestock on the roadway.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
UtahBluegrass wrote:
Thanks to all of you. I hadn't thought about fuel so I appreciate the reminder. We're good for 300 miles on a tank but I'll make it a point to top off at Denio and Lakeview.

We have been that way two times and one time they were out of gas at Denio but we had enough to make it to Winnemucca, I wouldn't trust that they will have gas at Denio. This was 4 years ago so fill up in Winnemucca and you will make it to Lakeview.
J herb

UtahBluegrass
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you. I hadn't thought about fuel so I appreciate the reminder. We're good for 300 miles on a tank but I'll make it a point to top off at Denio and Lakeview.
2013 Evergreen Everlite 29RLW
2013 Ram Laramie diesel 4x4
Parties 10, Feeds 4, Sleeps 2

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly the sign says "NO FUEL NEXT 140 MILES" as you leave Winnemucca.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the issue of fuel stops.....is this a concern for the Sprinter and Transit RVs that only have a 25 gallon tank....but do get 13-18 mpg?
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is one major grade near the state border - down heading into Oregon. The view may be more unnerving than the actual grade. Otherwise the main issue is distance between fuel stops. It's one of the longer stretches in the lower 48 without fuel.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I took it in March with a 30' trailer, not a problem. Nice drive.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing hard about that route. Just remember there is nothing out there. Keep your fuel tank filled up. Going over the Cascades will slow you down some west of K Falls.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Good highway, lonely at times, and be sure and fuel up at Denle as that is the ONLY fuel that I recall between Winnemucca and Lakeview.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We made that very route a few years ago, towing a 34' fifth-wheel. I remember it as an interesting route and we encountered no problems whatsoever. Just know that it has some long, lonely stretches so be prepared with fuel. I would not hesitate to take that path again.

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn’t be a problem, lots of trucks and TVs on thatbroute
Winnebago Access 24V

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't recall driving that highway---however, check on Google Earth. You can see the elevation, road surfaces, curves, etc. Most highways around Klamath Falls are pretty good.