cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shimming camper to minimize side to side movement

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed on our last trip or two a fair amount of readjusting the turnbuckles was necessary. Wind and bumpy roads usually seem to cause it to shift enough to make one side's tiedowns loose and the other side really tight.

I'm thinking of using some 1/2" or 1" thick lumber to shim it between the wheel wells to keep it from moving side to side.

Good? Bad? Better ideas?
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"
23 REPLIES 23

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
We take our truck with the Hallmark popup off road, not hard core four wheeling but rough steep roads. I screwed some ¾ x 8” boards on the sides to fill the gap between the wheel wells and the issue with the camper shifting around was solved.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, to ad to my previous question, do those that use guilds find they rub the finish off your bottom/sides of the TC?
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had mine shift. 3/4" stall mat and fastguns tightened as per manufacturer. I think it's just gonna vary depending on the bump size and speed you take it at. Don't think I've had it move on pavement. But on forest service or logging roads, anything is possible.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Jim
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don’t know if it is common or not. I know that sometimes mine moves. I think it has more to do with road than anything else if it doesn’t move all of the time.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta
Explorer
Explorer
How common of a problem is this??

I usually have to adjust mine after the first trip but don't recall having to readjust them again.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
billtex wrote:
Man, you Guys over think everything. Put the camper in the bed, tie it down and go.

Perzactly!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
If you do have shifting, I would find out why. Otherwise you will need to frequently adjust the tension and I suppose the camper could eventually shift substantially out of center.

Again, it’s not really been a problem for me or my particular TC with no damage and has been happening for 14 years. I do adjust/check the Fast Guns, but mine have never gotten that tight. Maybe yours tiedowns are also a lot tighter than mine. Or maybe our roads are that much worse in places or maybe we drive dramatically different speeds. My TC doesn’t always move.

For sure, it sounds like your rubber mat is a lot softer than mine if it noticably depreses. Also there are no slats on the bottom of my TC.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
If the camper is moving with a mat, I would look for the issue.

Are you saying your camper never moves even a little bit? I’m talking about occasional movement, not moving around every curve on a smooth/straight road.

Also, is your TC a tall 4500+ wet one.

I have a 9.5' Northstar Igloo. With modifications and loaded for travel, it weighs in over 4000#.

I am saying it does not move, at least not under any reasonable sort of driving conditions. I think it would take a camper busting bump that got the camper airborne.

The bed of the truck is not flat but has slats molded into the bed. In addition the bed is sprayed with a rough surfaced liner. The weight pushes down on the 1/2" thick rubber mat and it conforms to the surface. It is not going to slide or move even in the slightest. The base of the camper has 4 1x6 slats that run the entire length of the camper. Again the weight is going to make the mat conform to those shapes. In addition the bottom of the 1x6 slats also has some sections of anti-slip tread tape. I am sure that was gross overkill.

The camper should not shift or move at all. If that happens you will see it immediately. The fastguns on one side of the camper will be loose and the ones on the other side will be excessively tight. You want even and proper spring tension on all of the fastguns. Once I load the camper and drive for a while, I recheck the fastguns. I usually need to give each of them one turn to compensate for the weight compressing the mat. Again that compression assures there will be no movement.

If you do have shifting, I would find out why. Otherwise you will need to frequently adjust the tension and I suppose the camper could eventually shift substantially out of center.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Man, you Guys over think everything. Put the camper in the bed, tie it down and go.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
If the camper is moving with a mat, I would look for the issue.

Are you saying your camper never moves even a little bit? I’m talking about occasional movement, not moving around every curve on a smooth/straight road.

Also, is your TC a tall 4500+ wet one.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
Mine moves sometimes even with a rubber mat on top of bed liner. It’s more likely to move on rougher roads. I don’t personally worry about it too much.

I’ve thought about building some guides which would make it easier to load (centered) while also providing a partial solution to the movement. I like the steel methods guides that people here have made although wood would work as well.

If the camper is moving with a mat, I would look for the issue. Is the rubber mat old and now hard and slick? Is the bed of the truck or bottom of the camper slick? Self stick, non skid tape designed for use on stairs will solve either issue. The camper should not shift and should remain in place due to the stresses of cornering or side winds.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bert the Welder wrote:
Do you guys using guides have an concern with the camper getting pushed one way or another buy the guides and putting pressure sideways on the legs? Or are you getting it so close that it's just a fraction of an inch?
Thanks!

I don’t see the gain in loading it “exact”. However apparently some do. Mine gets loaded close to the same just because I have a board that doubles as a tailgate when camper is off and it rides between fender well and camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine moves sometimes even with a rubber mat on top of bed liner. It’s more likely to move on rougher roads. I don’t personally worry about it too much.

I’ve thought about building some guides which would make it easier to load (centered) while also providing a partial solution to the movement. I like the steel methods guides that people here have made although wood would work as well.