cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Drain Help Please

SW_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for some electrical advice please. I have a 2005 F350 Diesel and a 2002 AF 1080 truck camper. I keep the camper plugged in to shore power when not in use. Last night while getting ready to head out I fount the truck batteries completely dead. Nothing was on in the truck as far as lights or 12v accessories. The batteries are only 3 months old, as this happened the last time we tried to go out so I replaced them thinking they were due.

Prior to this summer we have never had an issue.

Any thoughts on what could be draining the truck batteries? The camper shouldn't through the umbilible, right?

For what it's worth the camper batteries were also replaced about a month ago, too.

I'm trying to figure out if I should take it to the mechanic or RV repair shop

Thanks in advance for the help as always.
17 REPLIES 17

ronday
Explorer
Explorer
Had battery go dead on truck. Had just completed a cross county trip with no problem. Turned out GPS was running battery down when sitting for a couple of days. Was fine on the trip as the truck was run everyday. Wired the GPS in so it was only on when the truck was on, problem solved. Ron
2008 Chevy 2500HD D/A, Crewcab SB, Pullrite superglide
2011 Big Country BC 3250TS 33ft 5ver
2005 Fleetwood 26ft 5ver
2005 Sun Lite Truck Camper
Ron - 29 yrs HS Tech Teacher (ret) 24 yrs USN/USNR Chief (ret)
Sheila - 29 yrs HS Home and Careers Teacher (ret)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Now fix that converter. AF camper should have a progressive dynamics converter.
If it has never had a charge wizard added to it you’re cooking your camper batteries.
The wizard is only $25 plug n play. Idk why they don’t come with them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks for posting the result. And glad it was an easy fix!

SW_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone. Sorry I went dark. We ended up taking the camper out and followed with a vehicle that could jump start us if needed. I ended up taking the truck to my mechanic. It ended up bring one of the Two batteries went bad and was draining the other one down too. They found no evidence of a drain from the truck or the camper. They monitored it overnight.

I appreciate everyone's input as there were other ver good suggestions regarding maintanence and best practices when we aren't using it. Thanks again,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Still no more info from the OP. Thanks bud! Must have figured out you left you lights on or something silly, eh?

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
When your camper is "turned on" there is drain from stuff like CO and Propane detectors. Maybe its only 1 amp but that will drain a 100aH battery in 100 hours. That is only 4 days and your battery is 100% dead (your not supposed to go below 50% charged)

I don't know if your truck wire to camper is live all the time or not, I do know Ram stays hot and yes it will draw down the truck batteries if that line stays hot.(when camping, I use to always unplug that line as a safety feature so I was 100% sure the truck would start when it was time to go home).

On our camper we added Solar charging system because we camp in the National Parks at beach with no electric, but a side affect is that kept the batteries charged in both camper and truck.

I now have a new RV but I have to store it in a field that has no electric. This new RV has a 100w panel on the roof (have not added more power yet but that is in future).
I store under a canape which prevents my builtin system from working, so I put a 100w panel on a cargo trailer that sits on my storage site behind my camper and is not covered.
I wired 10G back to the rear bumper of the camper so I can plug this extra panel into the RV system when in Storage. (I can also plug this trailer in while camping)
That 100W keeps my Coach charged (Two 27 series AGM) AND my chassis (one 30 series AGM)all the time.

since I installed my Panel so I could tilt it, others see it and now I see many other panels popping up in the storage field. Most appear to be 50w which might be enough but I do know my 100W works for me.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No one said it went dead in a day....
But the OP hasn’t been back to feed us more bread crumbs and the other half of the info.....

Mustn’t need help... Next thread please! Lol

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems really strange to lose an entire charge in one night no matter if it was drained by truck or TC.

I think I’d validate that the TC really was charged, and the TC charger may need to be replaced. If you store the TC separate, I’m not sure how you got it on the truck if the charger isn’t working.

For the truck, I’d make sure that any accessories that are nonstock are checked. The 2006 Ford F350 that I had started draining quickly because the underhood light wasn’t always going off.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dealt with a similar problem with my truck. Sometimes the battery would die after a few days of sitting. Sometimes it would be just fine. I knew I had a random phantom load.

I eventually gave up on the basic troubleshooting and went all-in to fix it. Bought an multi-meter that measures DC amps. Also bought a 'Fuse socket connector kit' which is essentially a blade fuse replacement. This allowed me to put the multi-meter in-line on a fuse circuit. If I got any reading, then that indicated there is a draw on that circuit.

Went through every fuse in the fuse box. No luck. Finally remembered my accessories. Sure enough, I had a draw on my MSD 6a ignition box. Disconnected the box from the wire, and I still had the draw! Started tracing the wire.

Turns out it had gotten pinched between the plastic mount under the ECU and the fender. Eventually it wore through its insulation and the paint on the fender. Not enough to heat up the fuse and pop it, but enough to kill the battery after a few days.

That is the only way to trace which circuit has the draw. Multimeter I bought. Fuse socket connector.

Good luck!
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
My batteries did not hold a charge very well in the winter and it turned out that my Dashcam and GPS drew enough current overnight to drop the charge to where I could not start the Suburban.
I'd have the battery tested. My Chevy dealer told me that have found dead batteries on new vehicles just off the delivery truck!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Bert the Welder wrote:
My new truck battery got killed a few days after being in the truck. Turns out the radio had got south and was draining it. Had to pull the fuse. No more radio, but no more drain on the replacement. My cheap one way battery shunt got stuck one time years ago too and drained the truck. Now I always unplug just in case.

My old truck developed a load that would kill a fully charged battery in a matter of weeks. After lots of probing I finally put a knife switch on the positive terminal and got in the habit of disconnecting the battery each time I was not going to use the truck the same day.

Overkill but no more dead batteries.

- Mark0.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
My new truck battery got killed a few days after being in the truck. Turns out the radio had got south and was draining it. Had to pull the fuse. No more radio, but no more drain on the replacement. My cheap one way battery shunt got stuck one time years ago too and drained the truck. Now I always unplug just in case.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, be more descriptive with your issue.
Camper plugged in to truck? Presume yes by your post.
Camper batteries fully charged or dead too?
Truck wont drain from camper if the camper batteries are charged/ charging.
So issue is likely with the truck. IMO.

Also not good to just leave camper batteries on a converter unless it’s a smart charger. It’ll overcharge

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
The smoke detectors, pilot lights on plugs, etc. in the camper can definitely drain the two batteries in a diesel over the course of two weeks of dis-use, unless you have a battery isolator under the hood, because it has happened to me. But I am puzzled. If the camper is plugged into shore power, the batteries should stay topped up, suggesting a charging problem. Check for a blown fuse in the power management box, or a breaker in the wrong position. Likely something simple, but not necessarily easy to find.
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5