cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Industrial Strength Liars

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I gotta tell you guys, i am totally disgusted with the RV industry right now.

We are wanting to buy a new TT for which the last model manufactured was last year (2019). There are some in stock around the country, apparently, but i cant seem to get an answer from anyone that isnt an obvious lie. And not shading the truth, but a boldfaced Lie.

The manufacturer tells me that they dont make them since 2019. The manufacturer's sales rep tells me that there are a bunch of 2020s in stock and here are the dealers around the country that have some on their lots. The internet sites of several additional (but different) dealers have some showing on the website complete with descriptions and serial numbers.

After exhaustive emails with all concerned above, every single piece of info that i have received has proven to be wrong. Every Single Statement. I have dealers telling me they can order me a 2021 model and the factory telling me that isnt possible. None of the factory supplied dealers have Any of my model on the lot nor have they had for some time- didnt i know that 2019 was the end of the model? Some of the dealers that show actual inventory on the website dont actually have what they say they have. Others say they have something the same as what they show, but its a little different. And the rest wont even reply unless i fill out a personal information sheet so that they can harass me in every way possible (email, phone, mailing+home address, etc). All i want to know is Do you have X model on the lot.

Keep it up industry. Times are good now, but the worm will turn again one day.
27 REPLIES 27

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
travelnutz wrote:
DUH! Getting married is a mutual discussion and agreement, not a selling job and never should be!

Right.. You may notice I did not say You Sold yourself to your wife, or husband I said Spouse.... you both sold yourself to each other.

That is in fact a definition of "Mutual Agreement" you were both sold.

Hopfully NOT a bill of goods.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
DUH! Getting married is a mutual discussion and agreement, not a selling job and never should be!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just remember folks
When you put down salesmen
YOU SOLD YOUR SPOUSE ON GETTING MARRIED!

And that was one major sales job.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that this is a multifaceted issue! While undoubtedly there are some โ€œgoodโ€ salespersons, I believe that many are either totally ignorant about their products or merely want a sale.

Weโ€™ve recently been watching a series about people buying RVโ€™s. The vast majority of these folks are totally ignorant about RVโ€™s .....and the salespersons only wants the sale. We watched a show recently, that had a young family wanting to full time..... yet, wanting a unit with a cost of no more than $30K. I wouldnโ€™t buy the unit they purchased for an occasional week-end.....and never for full time use. The salesperson gladly took (stole) their money, and never attempted to educate them about RV living.

I guess that being an RV salesman is not my forte......as I could not, with a clear conscience sell most of these people the RV that they have chosen! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Salesmen in this industry are not the greatest group as a whole. I have come across many bad people, but not all are bad...

I bought some hub caps for motorhome. The front ones were a smaller size, just slightly. I took them back ,but salesman insisted they were correct. He said the front (which were the wrong ones) had to fit tighter because they take more abuse. He literally held his fist out and flexed and shook as if he were the front axle of a made-up RV taking a beating, "they take more impact".
I told him, no, there is no such thing, but he was very insistent that they were correct and to leave and either use them or not, but not to return them. I did return them.

Another salesman (parts guy) flat out told me it was not worth his time to sell me a spark plug for my Onan because he makes more selling campers than parts and that he could not help me. That lot went out of business not too long after.

Salesman are what is left of the classic used-car lot salesman. I have been lied to a lot in RV dealerships. A lot of times they just do not know anything about RVs, and have to lie, feel they have to lie, so that you have more confidence buying from them. They never camp, do not own RVs and during the peak camping season they cannot take vacations bc that is peak sales months. In general - does not apply to every one out there, for those who will nit-pick...

It's part of the industry, so BUYER-BEWARE!

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
I guess i'm from an ancient era, Chum. I call em like i see em.
(but i am also smart enough not to give some {spit} lawyer grounds to harass me)

I hear ya! Me too. I call 'em like I see 'em too. I just don't do it socially where I'm subject to aftermath. It's usually not a good thing to annoy "peaceful protesters", even when IMO, they are dead wrong.

Chum Lee

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Funny...I posted a few days ago, in jest, on the ATC forum, how we all know used car sales folks and politicians are dishonest, and the crazy lady deleted it. It was on the thread about the dishonest sales clerk, so did pertain! I know...most won't post on that forum, but I still do on occasion.

Yep, pretty much a waste of time posting there. If your opinion differs from the Mod, you will get deleted. It's almost comical when the mod will come on and say that if you post something, you have to cite the source for the information (because nobody actually forms their own opinion apparently) and then turns around and posts a bunch of "facts" with no supporting cite.

On the subject of sales persons, if I'm just shopping and need to fill out the contact info, the only item they get that is actually me is my email and I have an email that is only used for internet forms. If I ask a question, I always add in bold all caps, letters that I will not respond to telephone calls, only emails. Of course, since I didn't give them my number, I don't know if they ever try to call anyway. I give them the number of a spammer that tries to call me frequently because he is concerned about my car being out of warranty.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m with you CFerguson, callโ€™em like you seeโ€™em ...... however, I would have likely used a few โ€œcolorful expletivesโ€ in conjunction with โ€œliarโ€! ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Funny...I posted a few days ago, in jest, on the ATC forum, how we all know used car sales folks and politicians are dishonest, and the crazy lady deleted it. It was on the thread about the dishonest sales clerk, so did pertain! I know...most won't post on that forum, but I still do on occasion.

Jerry

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:

I dont want to say EVERY RV dealer/salesman is a crook as I know of 2 that i consider to be honest locally. I also dont think that trying to make the most $$ off of a sale is anything immoral at all. Thats just Business. +, I never even got to the price/quote stage with any of these dealers.

97 percent of salesmen give the rest of us a bad name.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Have you gone to a Site like RV Trader and ran a search for your unit?

Yeah, I started my search with all the common RV search sites and the sites of the larger dealers in the country. I am willing to travel most anywhere in the US to get what i want so i was looking from the pacific NW to Florida.

I dont want to say EVERY RV dealer/salesman is a crook as I know of 2 that i consider to be honest locally. I also dont think that trying to make the most $$ off of a sale is anything immoral at all. Thats just Business. +, I never even got to the price/quote stage with any of these dealers.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
travelnutz wrote:
When a person lies, THEY ARE A LIAR!!! How much simpler and accurately could it be said?

There is an author I know who wrote a series of science fiction books (Riverworld series) and in these books all men are "Clean Shaven" actually there is no facial hair so you never need to shave.

In one of them is a Line I will never forget.. one character says to the other: "If being clean shaven was a sign of an accomplished liar than all other liars would be as beared as Santa Clause".

So some liars (And I will NOT mention names) make others look honest.

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
When a person lies, THEY ARE A LIAR!!! How much simpler and accurately could it be said?
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Maybe I should go into RV sales. Then there would be at least one honest, knowledgeable salesman in the business"

My wife told me I should do this as well. I told her I would not last a week :B