cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

too much truck or not enough trailer?

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I thought this was interesting. Would look a little weird going down the interstate.

32 REPLIES 32

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
For those who think it is a transporter taking a new trailer to a dealer, expand the picture. The trailer has the typical "old trailer" signs of streaks down the sides and back. Also, the tag on the trailer is not a dealer tag, it is a regular state issued tag.

After doing as you suggested, I have to modify my thinking on this a bit. You are correct in that it does not look like a "new" trailer but it IS a modern trailer and not an antique one. I gave the link to the manufacturer. It does look like it has been sitting for a while and may be a few years old based on the following.
1. The soft spare tire cover has the telltale dark ring showing through where the tire bulges it out.
2. There are "black streaks" running down the back of the trailer.
3. It does not have the whitewall tires that the original ones come with.

I still think it is being transported by someone other than the owner based on the type of truck and the 5th wheel hitch in the back.
The plates are Florida plates and you see this kind of thing regularly down there where a friend from the campground will move your trailer for you from or to storage or to another nearby campground.
I can't imagine an owner towing it like that for very long.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is growing old to hear the mythology of one ton trucks spouted by people that have never owned or driven one.

They do not pound anything to death or vibrate and cause small trailers to fall apart. Stop it.

My one ton is considerably large than a 1/2 ton pu, but because it is a diesel, it gets better mileage and lasts twice as long. It has pulled everything I have hooked up to it for 20 years.

Bedlam
You definitely can have too much truck if towing a fifth wheel or carrying a truck camper. Overly stiff suspension will shake a RV to pieces. This is less of an issue with tag trailer since less of the trailer weight is sitting on the truck.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
My F350, CC, LB, 4X4, 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel, DWR is my daily ride and grocery shopping vehicle and its a very comfortable ride with its progressive suspension. I prefer it for comfort over my Taurus or Jeep.

The OP TT would be no more than a average back seat passenger for the F350.

Of course those who have never owned a F350 cannot speak from experience.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those who think it is a transporter taking a new trailer to a dealer, expand the picture. The trailer has the typical "old trailer" signs of streaks down the sides and back. Also, the tag on the trailer is not a dealer tag, it is a regular state issued tag.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Because itโ€™s easier for some people to just complain about or look down their nose at everything??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Well I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Pretty sure anyone w a dually knows about a drop hitch. Perhaps there is a decent explanation.

Does buying a dually impart some kind of special knowledge, or a dually owners just naturally smarter than us mere single wheel owners?

It usually implies that one has owned or used other trucks and is familiar w the basics of towing.

We'll never know for sure why that combo was on the road. Why is it so hard to be charitable?
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
maybe a transport company?

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we generally are mostly naturally smarter, but when you buy a dually, you get the dually book. They specifically admonish you to not show this book to single wheel owners. In fact they suggest that you say "There's no such thing".

I think the guy or gal driving the dually, pulling about a 35'bumper pull up I95 on Saturday, passed me doing about 85, must have been reading their book and not the speedometer. ๐Ÿ™‚

They were on a mission!!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes people haul things home after they buy them, when they are not really set up properly.

Too much truck is a total myth.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Well I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Pretty sure anyone w a dually knows about a drop hitch. Perhaps there is a decent explanation.

Does buying a dually impart some kind of special knowledge, or a dually owners just naturally smarter than us mere single wheel owners?
Well, we generally are mostly naturally smarter, but when you buy a dually, you get the dually book. They specifically admonish you to not show this book to single wheel owners. In fact they suggest that you say "There's no such thing".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:

This reminds me of my rich lawyer cousin. For graduation, he buys his 18yr old son the most expensive F350 DRW money could buy. His son never used it for what it was designed for. Never hauled or towed a thing with it. He chipped, re-programmed, deleted, boasted about HP, etc., and tore it up. That truck didn't last 2 years. He had zero respect for that machine. It was nothing more that a rich kids toy to him.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
Last summer I was at a gas station and a lady pulled in with a TT that had the tongue almost dragging on the ground. She had a 3" drop hitch and a truck showing serious signs of way too much tongue weight. I offered her the advise that she would be towing a lot better it she turned the insert over to raise the tongue of the TT. She looked at me like I was probably the stupidest person she ever met and exclaimed in a very loud voice-"If I turned the hitch over, the ball would be on the bottom of the hitch. Do you think I am some kind of idiot!!" She then go back in her truck and left.

Another customer came over to me and said that if would have been recording my conversation with her, she and I would both be stars of the internet. Be bought me a cup of coffee and we sat at a picnic table for 10 minutes talking about the idiots that we have met.

Hahaha. I ran into one like that traveling with my niece and her husband. The rental was delivered to the site and setup. Dry nice. At the end of the trip the lady came in her 1/2 ton Chevy and backed up to the 31โ€™ trailer. She put the trailer in the ball, Completely raised the tongue jack and then put the torsion bars on. Of course they did absolutely no good. She had about three inches of ground clearance and her front tires were almost dangling in the air. When I tried to show her a better way she informed me her husband told her to do it this way and he was very experienced and knowledgeable of these things. We just shook our heads, oook, and told her good luck and have a nice ride home.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Maybe just moving for a friend.

My thoughts as well.
No tounge weight to speak of riding like that and additional weight on trailer axle.