cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum gate opening width needed for TT parking........

Fifty7Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

My name is Jim and I'm new to the forum : )

My wife and I are interested in purchasing our first travel trailer. That said, I would really like to be able to store it at my house. I'm on over a 1/4 lot and have "RV side access" but the problem is that my lot is pie shaped and is narrow in the front. I have what looks like about 9 1/2 ft. from one side of my RV gate to the eave of the house. What are your opinions on this? Doable? What are your experiences? FYI it is a straight shot through the gate, no obstructions etc

Once inside the gate I'm good as my back yard really opens up..... heck i could probably fit 3 or 4 trailers back there its just a matter of getting through the opening in the gate.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

JiM
24 REPLIES 24

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Front receiver hitch would really help squeezing an 8' trailer between 9.5' gate. Dollar to a doughnut, you'll scrap if not bump one side or the other.

gmwelder86
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve got a 9 foot opening and eves on onside of the driveway. It’s really tight and planning on redoing gate to get a bit of room on far side from house. Hoping to gain about a foot. It’s only doable in day light.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have our 5er parked on our lot and our gate opening is 10'.(double gate-2 5' pieces) Just back up slowly. Watch the mirrors on your truck though.

Fifty7Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses!
In general from what I am hearing is to measure to get exact dimensions first and formost as well as using spotters when backing but all in all it is doable.

Thanks !

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have room to add a gate on the other side of the house? If so with a large back yard you might be able to drive in and drive out with minimal fuss.
RVing since 1995.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
The physics of the clearance changes if it isn't completely level the whole way in. Tilt one way of the other and those measurements will change. And, like another poster noted, if you have to execute any turns all bets will be off.

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 11' driveway with the house on one side and a chain-link fence on the other. Two below grade window wells intruded about 18'' into the space. 25ft TT not bad getting in but harder to get out. Real trouble was when you wanted access, the fence made it impossible to fully open the door. {It was a no slide model). We lived with it for 12 years. Bought a 30 footer and rented a storage lot. Best $45 I ever spent even tho it's 11 miles from home. Stress - free coming and going. Sure wish we could store it at home but "the juice wasn't worth the squeeze".
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 5th wheel and a 9ft wide gate to our backyard. We backed in very very slowly because the clearance is mere inches. Ours is adjacent to our house too, with roof of Rv same height as gutters. Talk about stress!! Our gutters have a few dents from the initial efforts! We did get good at it though!
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
buy a 7 or 7 1/2 ft wide trailer. back it in straight and buy a small motorized dolly to inch it thru the opening.
bumpy

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's not a lot of spare room but certainly enough if you can hit it straight.

Now if there are odd turns on either side of the gate, all bets are off.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I made sure the post on my gate was right under the eave, preventing my trailer from hitting the eave without also hitting that post. My gate width is 10 feet. I've been backing through it with a standard 8 foot wide trailer for over 16 years. It's not difficult, especially if your approach is straight. You should be able to see both sides with your mirrors. Just take it slow.

I actually have to round a tight corner, then line up with that gate with very little room for maneuvering. It can take 10 or 15 minutes.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Double check your clearances, clearance after the gate is opened to the eave and how high up is the eave. If it is a straight run at it, should be doable. Don't forget the mirrors on the tow vehicle, they probably will have to be folded in until clear.
When looking at the trailers, remember that the box width stated is NOT the total width of the complete unit. It may state 7'6, 8'0 or even 8'6". (102"). Our RV is 8'6" wide plus awning on one side and slide toppers on the other, thereby requiring a clearance of almost 9'.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
If the eve is going to be on the drivers side as you are backing in you shouldn't have a problem. If the eve is on the passenger side you will hit it at some point in time, so you might as well fix it now before you damage both the eve and the trailer.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on which side the house is on you will need to account for the awning also. About six more inches.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS