cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Zion to Grand Tetons trip (part 2 )

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
We left Zion NP July 3rd for the Grand Tetons. This would be our longest drive of the trip (12 hours) I believe we got one of the last RV sites in Moran Wyoming at Fireside RV park since it was over the 4th of July - again luck was on our side since everything in Jackson was booked and a few other places we called. Fireside was recommended by another CG.

This Campground has full and partial hooks, we got partial which was power and water. They did have free showers which was cool.

Fireside is about 15 minutes to the Moran Junction Entrance on the east side of the Tetons itโ€™s also about 45mins to Jackson and i believe something like 55 miles to the South entrance to Yellowstone. This area is more relaxed and further away from the crowds which was nice. Itโ€™s surrounded by Horse ranches which made it pretty cool because the girls would pet some of the horses at the fence.

Hereโ€™s a map of our route we planned out - Schwabacher Landing, Antelope Flats, Death Canyon Hike to Phelps lake and then took a cruise by Jenny lake over to string lake.

Our first stop at Schwabacher to try and get a glimpse of the beavers and possibly some moose but we were a little late. Arriving around 9 when you should really be there at Sunrise.

Schwabacher has a nice easy trail that goes in to the woods about a mile

Our next stop was Antelope flats to see the Famous Moulton Barn

Again not many people out as you can see we were the only ones there taking a pic at the barn

Our next stop is Death canyon - As you enter the dirt road you have to drive about a mile in, it starts to look like itโ€™s going to be tight to park but it opens up a bit and thereโ€™s plenty of room for a u turn at the end. ๐Ÿ™‚

The hike to this point which is the Phelps lake overlook is 1 mile - to get
To the lake I believe was another 1.5 miles. We opted to hike to the lake.

Itโ€™s a beautiful calm lake and ice cold water - jump in for a
Quick swim is what we have to do everytime we get to a body of water ๐Ÿ™‚

On our way back

Right after death canyon we drove around it hopes of seeing some moose or a grizzly bear. We ended up seeing a young grizzly the park rangers were trying to capture. They said he became to used to people and would just come right up to anyone .

Pic of Jenny lake - we skipped this area as it was the most popular place in the Tetons. Everyone was taking the boat across and hiking to inspiration point.

We Also ended up skipping string lake as it was packed as well. By this time the girls were exhausted from the drive up here the day before and I think they were over hiking after Zion....haha! But Nicole loves hiking so I kinda planned this Whole road trip with a lot of hikes in it.

And thatโ€™s how we spent our 4th of July in the Tetons. We only spent 1 day but we had a great time. Nicole made enchiladas when we got back and some kind of white cake and pudding with fresh strawberries, blueberries and black berries with whipped cream for desert. Me and the girls swear it was the best dinner we ever had lol!

When we left the Tetons on July 5th our plan was to stop at Leeks Marina to enjoy the views and eat Lunch from Leeks Marina Pizza but itโ€™s was closed due to Covid, it was a sad day we had to eat sammiches ๐Ÿ˜ž

Our next stop is West Yellowstone.

Cheers!
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
6 REPLIES 6

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
thanks for sharing the photos. glad you had a good visit to our favorite park. we have visited there for many years, but did not venture out this year. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Thatโ€™s awesome! Our first time and already looking forward to going back, it definitely is a wonderful place to keep going back too.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Love the pics! We love that area and go as often as we can. This may be the year to do it again due to Covid19 and the low crowds.

Yeah Iโ€™d say now is the time to go back. I canโ€™t wit to go back, I really enjoyed the Tetons.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for sharing the photos. glad you had a good visit to our favorite park. we have visited there for many years, but did not venture out this year. ๐Ÿ˜ž
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Love the pics! We love that area and go as often as we can. This may be the year to do it again due to Covid19 and the low crowds.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:

Great trip with great pictures!!!! Keep on Trucking:)

Thanks!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz wrote:
We left Zion NP July 3rd for the Grand Tetons...

Great trip with great pictures!!!! Keep on Trucking:)