Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What is your long term Dicor plan?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What is your long term Dicor plan?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/20 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't apply the curled Eternabond it was an RV that came in that way for a new roof. When we applied the new roof we went with two coats of the roll on adhesive and worked well for bonding to the roof. Plastic shrinks in UV light and thus the curling. If you guys are having good results though, I think you should use it. I like the smoothing out working into the surface back and forth with the Dicor and straight line masking.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

I didn't apply the curled Eternabond it was an RV that came in that way for a new roof. When we applied the new roof we went with two coats of the roll on adhesive and worked well for bonding to the roof. Plastic shrinks in UV light and thus the curling. If you guys are having good results though, I think you should use it. I like the smoothing out working into the surface back and forth with the Dicor and straight line masking.

Well then your post is even more misleading since you have no idea how the Eternabond was applied originally. Also, your "ASSUMPTION" IMO a somewhat poor one at that is simply incorrect as it applies to the covering on Eternabond. I have more Eternabond on my roof than I would guess 99% of the posters here and after 12 years of it sitting uncovered outside not a single piece has curled/shrunk or come loose except for that very front edge on my front cap roof seam. All of it looks as good as the day back in the Spring of 2008 that I originally applied it.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I've witnessed it lifting. Yep actually curling up on the edges and then highway speeds make the curl catch wind and gradually pull loose enough exposing the damaged area underneath. It leaked. The plastic tape shrinks and curls then wind and suns heat does the rest.It turns to something I won't use.

Were seeing more and more issues around the net with the tape as more folks are using it on their rvs.... even if it was applied properly. Properly or improperly installed Its still a good idea to seal the edges with Dicor or any good sealant made for rv roof application.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now this just my opinion not tossing tomatoes at anyone here, but I would rather see what I got for a problem not have tape covering it. not being able to see where a problem is, is important. If Dicor has a problem you can see it by close inspection usually.

I suspect Eternabond tape would perform a lot better if the membrane tape portion was the EPDM rubber roof slitted into strips or tapelike form. Not a plastic or vinyl membrane tape.

* This post was edited 08/08/20 09:57pm by covered wagon *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What is your long term Dicor plan?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.