cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tested your LP detector lately?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Two in serious condition after LP explosion destroys camper. I've driven by that CG more times than I can remember, never stayed as it's too close to home (and right next to a busy highway.)

https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/couple-hospitalized-after-camper-explosion
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
21 REPLIES 21

dedmiston
CavemanCharlie wrote:
My LP detector is my nose. Yes, I've tested it lately. It still works but, its performance is not as good as it used to be. I would get a new one but, there are a lot of more important parts I need to have replaced first.

I have a different body part that would send a lot of false positives to your nasal LP detector.

LP isn't the only odorized gas.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
My LP detector is my nose. Yes, I've tested it lately. It still works but, its performance is not as good as it used to be. I would get a new one but, there are a lot of more important parts I need to have replaced first.

As funny as your trying to be.......that is a very dangerous way of thinking!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
False alarm or end of life chirp? Mine started chirping just short of the expiration date on the detector. And I replaced it immediately.

X2
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
Spray on sunscreen will also set them off. Not that it ever happened to me and the grandkids. "What's that noise Grampa?"
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Totally agree.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
SJM9911: According to one of the videos I watched, the test button only shows the buzzer is working. It doesn't actually show the unit is detecting propane. Yeah, I know. Doesn't make sense, but that what the guy said.

Prety much it. But everytime you spray stuff into it you have a chance of screwing it up. Best to just follow the dates. Thats why some go off repeatedly instead of giving a end of life chirp, stuff collects in them, dust etc. Nothing is foolproof, just use it as designed. It will work best and longest that way.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
SJM9911: According to one of the videos I watched, the test button only shows the buzzer is working. It doesn't actually show the unit is detecting propane. Yeah, I know. Doesn't make sense, but that what the guy said.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
You can test them easily by spraying some thing like hair spray or holding your bbq lighter without flame close.
Yes, i have had to replace a couple because they chirped without an issue, when they work right they scream like a smoke detector.

Or you could just hit the test button on the front. Why spray hair spray around it? Seems like it would gunk it up a bit.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Good info. Never really even gave it any thought till this post. I've been reviewing some YouTube videos on how to replace the detectors. One guy removed the fuse from his fuse box to make sure there was no electricity. My rig has a battery shut-off switch. Wouldn't turning it off accomplish the same thing as removing a fuse? I'll be putting in a new one before the next trip.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
You can test them easily by spraying some thing like hair spray or holding your bbq lighter without flame close.
Yes, i have had to replace a couple because they chirped without an issue, when they work right they scream like a smoke detector.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Very sad! I hope they recover.

I replaced mine last year, CO and LP detector combined and includes a shutoff solenoid. I also replaced the ceiling mounted CO and smoke detectors at the same time. Many people don't give the, a second thought!

Be safe!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
It shouldn't be outdated yet- I replaced it in June of 2016. I guess I should look at it next year, though.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
False alarm or end of life chirp? Mine started chirping just short of the expiration date on the detector. And I replaced it immediately.