cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there an alternate route for Deadmans pass in Oregon?

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
I'm heading to the coast from Idaho and I'm looking for an alternate route by passing deadmans pass above Pendleton. We are considering leaving early to try to get up the pass in the morning to avoid some heat!

Thanks,
Ben
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)
5 REPLIES 5

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry guys, we are traveling from boise to lincoln city Oregon, my concern is coming back and climbing cabbage patch/deadmans pass.
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where in Idaho you are coming from or where on the coast you are headed, but you might consider going west out of Vale, OR on either Hwy. 26 or Hwy. 20. Both would bypass the Pendleton area and the freeway. Hwy. 20 is probably flatter and would put you into Bend, OR and you could continue on west from there. Hwy. 26 has some grades over the Ochoco mountains which are beautiful, but a bit more challenging. Hwy. 26 could bring you into Redmond, OR and you could continue west from there to Eugene and further to the coast at Florence. Hope this helps.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
ditto to the above posts. trucks and motorhomes and 5th wheels all use it every day. it's not like a lot of passes that are narrow and winding with switchbacks, etc.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
HWY 204 or Elgin Hwy, but I wouldn't say it is better. I have driven it with a trailer and it is OK, but the better option is I-84.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Immigrant Hill is the popular name for what is correctly called Cabbage Hill and is often mislabeled as Deadman's Pass which is a rest area on I-84. Going east to west, it's the descent of Cabbage Hill that's the issue - 6 miles of 6% downgrade. The road has multiple lanes and there are separate speed limits posted for trucks based on weight (from 37 MPH down to 18 MPH). We just pulled in with the slowest group of trucks and went down the hill in second gear with the exhaust brake doing its job. Having traveled that route and looking again at the map, I don't know of a better route.

Rob

Edited to correct typo.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015