cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Correction **Alternate route for Deadmans pass in Oregon?

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry I should have made this clearer, my concern is the climb from Pendleton to LaGrande heading east.

Thanks,
Ben
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)
6 REPLIES 6

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
What is your concern? Over heating? I've towed over it a few times, with a gas and diesel towing 9000+ lbs. It's just a long version of a shorter climb of the same %.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put you RV on a barge and go up the rivers to Lewiston. Then you only have the grades out of that valley to contend with. ๐Ÿ™‚

At Pendleton you are near sealevel, near the Columbia River. To get to the upper part of the Snake in Idaho (Boise etc), you have to pass through Hells Canyon, or cross or bypass the Blues. Even if you took US97 south you have a significant climb. US20 east from Bend doesn't have much grades, but Bend area itself is around 4000 ft.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Blue Mountains have some windy roads. None of them are that hard. You just can't hurry because are not banked the right way.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's the reverse of what I said in the other thread. It's a total of 12 miles climbing - six of them at 5 - 6%. The Mountain Directory (a purchase I highly recommend) says it "...can be a severe test on engine cooling systems in the summer." I still don't know of a better route.

Rob

Edit: my wife is the smart one in the family... she says unhitch the tow'd and drive it separately and/or drive it at night.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
Good call
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might put that note in the other post no need to create a new one.