cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator left running with doors open for 2 weeks !

mginnetty
Explorer
Explorer
Had kids playing in the RV when it was out in the driveway ready to be put into storage with the fridge/freezer doors propped open with door clips. I'm guessing one the kids was pushing buttons and turned on the fridge and I just noticed it now 2 weeks later 😞

The fridge and freezer weren't cool at all and had about an inch of water pooled in the bottom and some in the trays on the door. I turned off the power and have cleaned up the water and hope that it doesn't need replacement.

Anyone have an experience with fridge problems like this ?

Thanks for the info.

-Mark...
10 REPLIES 10

mginnetty
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone, thanks for the quick replies.

I cleaned up the mess and connected the power earlier this morning and checked back in about 5 hours and it is working ! The freezer is ice cold and the fridge cooled right down.

The answer some of the questions...

The RV and fridge are level.

no odor.

It is an Absorption fridge that can run on power or propane. Unlike the fridge in my house it doesn't have a compressor.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
wopachop,

Direction of travel 3%. (1/2 bubble)

Driver to front seat passenger 5%. (less that 1 bubble)

I hope that helps.

Thanks for this PT. Had wondered how much slope front to back and side to side would be in the "OK" range. Just never remembered to ask....:C
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Did that to myself once. Had water inside the refrigerator and on the floor of the trailer. Didn't do any damage.

Clean up the mess and check, is it okay now?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
wopachop,

Direction of travel 3%. (1/2 bubble)

Driver to front seat passenger 5%. (less that 1 bubble)

I hope that helps.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Let's say you're in the trailer looking at the fridge door. Which angle hurts it the most?

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The water that collected is good evidence that the fridge was working properly--the cooling unit caused it to condense and collect. (It also suggests that the drip pan or its drain tube may possibly not be arranged properly or might be plugged up, assuming your fridge has them.) I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Incidentally, 3 degrees off of level is a quite obvious slope, around a 5% grade.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Use a solar system to keep your batteries charged. Unplug from shore power. Install a master switch and turn it off.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Unless you have a odor. Running with the doors open will not cause a problem. UNLESS as another stated, you stored the unit off level more than 3 to 5 degrees. Doug

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mark how close to level was the fridge?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried to turn it on and cool it now? What type?