cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to rv ownership is this an okay fix?

Astoria2020
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned my camper for two months. When my wife and I arrived at the camp ground I noticed the ceiling had a slow drip. 24 hours later it quit raing and I found the mushroom vent cover had blew off. The closest dealer was a 45 min drive and they just had the regular attic/sewer vents, so I bought that and some putty tape and lap sealent and bolted it to the base of the the old vent. So far No leaks. Should I try and find the right vent or leave it.
6 REPLIES 6

GMH
Explorer
Explorer

Is this the vent you are talking about? Rain going down the pipe should not matter, as it will wind up in the grey or black tank. I filled the broken out chunk of the base On mine with silicone to seal it and then replaced the cap with one I found at Canadian Tire (Camco brand I think). It has two spring steel fingers that slide down inside the pipe to hold it in place.

Astoria2020
Explorer
Explorer
The rain cover was on before we left as I had just cleaned the roof and inspected all seems I'm so ocd as I even bout and installed max air vent covers for added protection.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Temporary fixes are temporary. Repair properly before it rains again. You saw no additional water but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t still leaking.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Kind of hard to say if fix is okay, without seeing it. A pic would help, to better understand your description of the fix.

Jerry

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
double check that area for water damage , could be that cover has been missing for a long time.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't have waited until the rain stopped. Too late for that now but get the right cover.
Water damage is the number one killer of RVs.
Puma 30RKSS