cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How is Hey 22 through the Ochoco mountain pass in Oregon?

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
We are pulling out travel trailer from Boise, Idaho to Lincoln city Oregon and are trying to avoid Cabbage patch hill/Deadmans pass on 84 if possible. Is it a steady climb through the mountains or steep climb?

Thanks,
Ben
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)
10 REPLIES 10

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
26 has trees 20 has sage brush.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is more direct, follows canyon. US 20 dips south somewhat and is vey wide open. You had mentioned Ochoco National Forest which is on US26

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
Why 26 over 20? Is it flatter?
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would use US 26!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just trying to find a flatter ride from Boise to Lincoln city that's not so hard on 5ge truck. I think the best route would be to take highway 20 through Bend.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
paisley dale gave you very good advice. it is going to be warm no matter which way you decide

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm confused. First you worry about I84 heading west, with a longish 6% grade (max freeway) down to Pendleton. Then you say, oops, you are worried about the east bound trip with the climb. Now you are asking about an alternative west bound route?

Do you realize that after Bend you get to climb again to a Cascade pass, followed by a much longer drop to the Willamette Valley. And then another climb over the Coast Mtns?

PaisleyDale
Explorer
Explorer
Me I like back roads more than the freeway. One back way is leave I84
@ Caldwell, go thru Nyssa, OR and @ Vale, OR either take US 26 thru the Ochoco mts to Redmond, then Sisters. OR take US 20 to Bend.

US 26 will be cooler than US 20. From Sisters there is a several mile climb then it is all down hill to Salem.

If you have the time I would take US 26, there is an Oregon State park just past John Day, first come first served, no reservation, or you just use the free dump station too.

Just my .02 - We just got back from the southern Oregon coast, it was great cool nights and pleasant days.

The Oregon State parks on the Coast are reservation only, no walk-ins. No boondocking on northern half either but lots on the south half. Hope this helps.
2014 Winnebago View Profile 24v
2021 VW Atlas Cross Sport 2.0 4motion
1998 Honda CR-V toad

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
None of the those roads are hard. I really like eastern Oregon When I go north I avoid the West Side and I-5 and stay over on the East Side and drop in over Snoqualamie to Seattle.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Are you talking US 26 through Ochoco National Forest? That is pretty easy. I am thinking you are coming US 26 to Redmond, then OR 126 to US 2o then OR 22. They are all good highways. minor hills but nothing like I-84.
Have a good trip!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow